Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another humidor to enjoy.

Blog Entries
    The whole humidor is done to 12000 grit. The corners on this one is done with an Incra Jig. If you get a chance, look into one. It's an amazing router fence among other uses. I use one on a table saw and 2 router tables. The accuracy stands alone.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Wow...you've done it again! Amazing!
    Wood is very beautiful in tree form. Wood is very useful in burning form. I merely try to make my work honor the first, avoid the latter, and aim for the middle: beautiful and useful.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jeff and thanks to everyone. I'm already at it again. Here's a sneak peek. I love this burl.

Wow...again! Love those corners. I know you got that technique from someone else here on the Creek but I have to ask a question....do you route a groove for the piece to sit in or is it thin enough to lay "on top" of the corner. Also, in a case like this, are you just using simple mitered corners?
    Wood is very beautiful in tree form. Wood is very useful in burning form. I merely try to make my work honor the first, avoid the latter, and aim for the middle: beautiful and useful.

Bill how about a tutorial on the whole process from start to finish on making one of your famous multi cornered humidors?
    Iam sure everybody would love to see it!
    Veneering, assembly, small tray build, how you attach and form the corners to the box, hinging, finishing, and such. I think it would be a great one for a Sticky!

Anyone out there as interested as I?

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Bill how about a tutorial on the whole process from start to finish on making one of your famous multi cornered humidors?
    Iam sure everybody would love to see it!
    Veneering, assembly, small tray build, how you attach and form the corners to the box, hinging, finishing, and such. I think it would be a great one for a Sticky!

Anyone out there as interested as I?

Thanks Richard
    Great idea Richard. As I've told Bill before that his humidors are so beautiful they almost make me want to start smoking cigars. Actually his ideas can easily be transferred to jewelry boxes and some other projects on my "must do" list. I'd love to see some step-by-step instruction.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Blog Entries
    I'm actually building 2 right now. I've got a start on them both but I'll use some old pics I have up to this point and take over with the build from now. It may take me a while but I'll get on it.

Great Idea

Bill, I think it is a great idea to show the build process. I would love to see how you build this work of art. Something to consider. Since you use the incra fence/jig you might consider contacting Perry at Incra and saying. "Hey, I could post on here pictues showing how to build this with the incra fence. Would you be willing to give me something for this free advertising?"

~Todd

Blog Entries
    Thanks. Perry has been very good to me already. Their great over there. I have some projects in their gallery too.

+1 on a step by step tutorial. I can't wait to read it.

Boy...that's some quality work and materials!
    -Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Beautiful!

That's beautiful - you leave no detail unperfected!

I have a question about the top....

I built a 'chair side' humidor as a Christmas present last year. Cherry with Spanish Cedar insert. I had just glued the cedar to the top (not thinking). When he wiped down everything in prep for adding the cigars, the top warped and never fit tight again! That top was 5/8" of Cherry and was warped by a tightly glued 1/4" of Cedar!

I had to remake the top and create a floating cedar panel to allow the cedar to work. I assume that part of the problem was the size, this was a pretty large humidor (18w x 32l x 14h).

To the question - can you describe how you make the cedar inserts, especially how you make a tight fit at the top and how you account for the potential difference in wood movement? For instance, I notice that you have rounded corners - is that functional or visual?

Blog Entries
    Thanks very much. The rounded corners are just for the look. The lid is a frame with an MDF core that I seal with a veneer for the top. Then I make the SC frame that seals inside and a floating panel in the middle. The first humi I built had the issue you had. This way has never been an issue.

Another fantastic piece of work Bill, I love seeing your work every time you post. Nicely done!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I like the way it finished. Awesome job.