Thread: Finally a HF Without Extra Holes..

Finally a HF Without Extra Holes..

Happy night in my shop. Took a couple of tries but made a couple of HF's without a few extra holes. Didn't try for the 1/8" walls this time.
    I think I may be getting the hang of my monster rig.
    What I have to work on is getting a real smooth bottom without a nub and a better shoulder. Can't seem to get the tools in properly to cut a nice clean shoulder. This I guess will come with some more practice.
    Curly Maple that I got off John K. Both 3"x 2 5/8" with a simple wax finish.

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpgIMG_0080.jpg

Now to give it a go with one that has a finial.
    Thanks for taking a look...

Gary,
    Nice work there and the wood is attractive too.
    About getting under the shoulder, I use Rolly Munro articulated hollowers in my Monster rig, so generally, I have few problems with thinning the shoulders...

BUT, even with those tools, I have to reposition the base of the monster rig to help me get to certain positions. Because I do 1 inch openings on the smaller stuff, and how the Munro tools are built, this also requires that I also move the tool rest out of the way to insert the tool, but moving them around to allow the cutters (no matter which ones you use) is well worth the practice and effort.

Hope that helps.
    Change One Thing

Gary, a couple of very nice pieces!! I do think you are well on your way with this hollowing thing.

George had some good comments, and I have looked at the Munro heads - might make a nice addition at some point.

One thing I do that I may have failed to mention. Sometimes, with the circular head and 3/16" cutter blade, the angle you really need to get under the shoulder will not permit the head to be inserted in the form while on the boring bar. I insert just the head in the form to get the best orientation for the cutter blade. Then I set the cutter blade, put the head on the boring bar and set the laser. Then take off the head and insert it in the form - then making the reconnection to the bar.

That lets me use the circular head in positions that are otherwise not insertable in the form because of the smaller entry hole.

Nice work, Gary. The vase with the upturned opening is well shaped.

I just ordered a swan neck extension for my monster rig. I am hoping that this helps to get under the shoulders, especially on larger pieces. Time will tell.

Great work Gary! It looks like your learning curve is over! What's next?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Really nice looking HF's Gary. Looks like you are on your way.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.