Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Table

Ryan,

I think the suggestiom by John Stevens and others was for exposed joinery....tenons flushing with the top surface creating a detail...Nakashima like....I like Daves 2 different woods also.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Wink ... dreaming...

LOVE... sigh!.. It's about a pair. two equals.. not to get too mushy on you, soulmates. .. yeah. I haven't found her yet... but I am in my 30's and I have a hunch something good will happen this year. you never know

basically, there are two halves that make a whole. the vertical part of one half supports the cantilever of the other half and visa versa. it's a little poetic and symbolic.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Grimes
    ...lead me to believe that there is more of a meaning to this than meets the eye. I get the feeling that he likes the idea of 2 seperate entities supporting eachother, maybe it's meant to symbolize love. Correct me if I'm wrong, Ryan.
    I would like to have meaning in my designs. thank you Allen for being able to see deeper

the bed was simple. it's basically about 3 frames. not much else. when we are horizontal, we float in dreamland. when we are vertical, we stand on two supports. so, that's it.. nothing too special about that one
    love makes life happen

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevens
    ... you can go with your original grain orientation if you use torsion box construction. Of course, you'll be faking the appearance of a solid leg passing through a solid table top, but sometimes appearance is what matters most.
    not a bad idea. maybe the leg can be hollow and I could have mitered endrgain on the top face so that it looks solid. Hmm. I will think about this one a little more. thank you John
    love makes life happen

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Singer
    for now I have a new diagram which hopefully shows more of what I am thinking. I foresee a problem with the cantilevered end and I am proposing to put some more tenons in the end. maybe not 3... but the idea is there
    Hi Ryan,

Now that I understand what you're aiming for I have one sort of wet blanket question.

Why?

I mean, unless you're going to build the two sides out of contrasting woods, why build it that way at all?

I can't imagine that you would use the table in pulled-apart mode, in which case it's really just a very complicated way of building Alan's "three board table" no?
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

why when it's only design?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom LaRussa
    ...Now that I understand what you're aiming for I have one sort of wet blanket question.

Why?
    I mean, unless you're going to build the two sides out of contrasting woods, why build it that way at all? ...
    Dear Tom,
    as far as pull apart mode, that was just a demonstration of what you could do with it. I don't think it would ever be used that way

why the same color of wood? good question...

I do have my reasons. but I am glad you asked because it is a complex design and there is more to it than you'd think first off. it is an interesting design from various distances. the first thing you notice about this piece when you experience it is the silloette as you walk around it. it appears to be balanced on one leg as you walk around it. when you are up closer to it, you will start to realize this piece is not just one...

sometimes I am out on a limb, doing my own thing.. sometimes I have to go down with my ship...
    love makes life happen

Ryan,very interesting design. But if you're using the table together it will look like a one piece table top. I would think you would want to let everyone know it's 2 seperate pieces used as one. As it is now only you would know that, unless the top is pulled apart. How about offsetting the tops vertically 1/2" or so? Even do the tops or bases in different woods, color is a strong separating factor. Maybe this will give you a little more to think about.

Ryan, I see I had the leg in the wrong place. I've changed it to reflect my new understanding of what you are thinking. The "track" in the previous drawing was just a thought for linking the two pieces together. It was just drawn as a tongue and groove joint that wouldn't be glued together.

I removed the "track" though for this latest drawing. How about, instead of tenons between the leg and top, you make giant dovetails with tails cut on the leg. Or you could use a sliding dovetail on the top of each leg and continue it and the housing into the other top piece. The entire table could be a knockdown sort of thing, then.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think that I have done this right. I tried to upload a picture to help explain something.

It seems to me that if you were to put a decent amount of pressure at either of the two places that I have circled that the table would fall apart. This pressure could be something like my grandfather with his weak knees trying to get up from the table.

Now I am not sure sure that I am right but just a thought. Being a mechanical engineer I usually deal with the things that are moving and not the things that stand still. There may be enough weight and friction between the pieces to hold it together though.

They always say though that engineers and designers/architects never got along.

PS-I have been trying to post a pic all morning and it has not been working. WORKING NOW!!!!
    Last edited by Matthew Poeller; 12-29-2004 at 11:23 AM.
    Matthew Poeller

Ryan, What are the dimensions of this table. It seems a little unstable to me, even if the sides are resting on each other. I can just see one off my kids hanging on one side and the whole thing coming down on them(just a thought). As far as the design goes I really like it. How about a putting a thin contrasting wood on each side in the middle.
    Wes Newman

"Where did all of my money go? "

Ryan,

Last I checked, you're in earthquake country!! Keep that in mind, too!

Cool design and a nice thought process. Keep going!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I think the essence of this design is the 2 pieces. To express that there should be a consistent gap of 3/8" that becomes like a visual "river" and flows through. If they were rustic slabs the gap could vary a bit with the natural edge....Just an observation ....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    I think the essence of this design is the 2 pieces. To express that there should be a consistent gap of 3/8" that becomes like a visual "river" and flows through. If they were rustic slabs the gap could vary a bit with the natural edge....
    I agree with you here, Mark. A uniform gap would be in line with the clean, linear design and emphasize the two planes as being separate, yet complimentary. (And really neat with the 90º jog!) The gap down the middle of your own dining table provides for this...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

He could even use a Nakashima style butterfly plug that is removable but locks the 2 pieces together...Jim,,,,he will end up doing his own thing...."kids!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I agree with you here, Mark. A uniform gap would be in line with the clean, linear design and emphasize the two planes as being separate, yet complimentary. (And really neat with the 90º jog!) The gap down the middle of your own dining table provides for this...

The neat thing is that there are so many possiblities on how to bring this project together. Ryan will obviously pick what's best for him, but there is a lot of fun in discussing "kewel ideas"!

Smile

Hi All! you guys bring up many interesting aesthetic concerns. Jim & Dad, there is a gap between the boards. this image shows it a little better yet.

this quote was taken from Zahid Naqvi's post about design. you can follow it here... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14085
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hochmann
    ... it is unlikely that one could create an original design in this era. A comment came back to me that, to limit oneself with such a position, is to deprive oneself of the "pot of gold" at the end of the rainbow.
    After extensive reflection, of my skills, my eye, my appreciation, I am inclined to suggest that the pot of gold of creativity still exists. The difficulty one may face is looking at the box from the outside, inward....that is assuming that one can get themself out of the box.
    We live in a society that bombards us with conformity from the moment we wake to the moment we close our eyes to rest. The quest for originality, therefore becomes even more paramount in my mind. Society says dipsy...I must doodle. What has created the most pleasure for me, is having fun with it along the way.
    I think Peter is onto something.. and I think My father and Jim's last discussions about doing "my own thing" is probably what I should do. I am pretty motivated to get started. and thanx to your support I think I can avoid the major pitfalls.

Design is a soulful thing.... it's like surfing for some people... or prayer...
    vision is passion!
    love makes life happen