Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna CNC for small shops

Laguna CNC for small shops

I was talking to one of the Techs at Laguna yesterday and he let me know that they have a line of CNC machines these days. He encouraged me to visit their web site and check out the video of their Swift machine cutting a guitar body.

I watched both parts of the video this morning and I was pleasantly surprised at what I saw. It appears that their entry level machine is the Swift model.

Check out the hand held controller that has a thumb drive slot, you don't need a shop computer to run this machine.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-06-2010 at 10:20 AM.

There are several of these machinery companies who now have entry level CNC routers. While I was at the IWF I spoke to quite a few of their reps. Most of them were quite $pendy, and they didn't all have the smaller footprint entry level routers... Some of them I was impressed with, and others not so much...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Jim,

It seems to me that an entry level CNC machine is the most difficult to design. There are so many variables to consider and below a certain size, weight and component quality combination's a machine can be nothing more than a toy. Owners will quickly find out how limiting a machine can be and become dissatisfied with an expensive addition to their shops.

If you research the machines that the more prominent manufacturers offer you will generally find that there is a minimum level of quality and machine size that they will produce simply because they know that tech support problems and poor performance issues can make some machines a financial disaster. Even so there are a few companies that throw caution to the wind and venture into the business with a goal of producing a very inexpensive machine because everyone knows that the small one man work shops are drooling for a machine that will add CNC capability.

Purchasing a CNC machine is a big step for most people and they naturally want to get the best bang for the buck. At this level of expense we are even more prone to spring toward the low cost machines than a traditional shop tool. The problem is that a CNC machine isn't a traditional tool and in my mind it is a big step that requires a different level of consideration.

Along with the cool factor these machines also provide a major jump in the variety and the quality of projects that a shop owner can produce. Not the least important is the ability to make serious money from what has been a pure hobby for may years, a change in the way we think about our shops and the tools we have at our disposal is in order.

The questions everyone wants answers to are how far do I have to stretch financially to get a reliable CNC Router in my shop? How can it make money? Can I learn to use the software so I can operate a computer controlled machine with zero experience and how long will it take?

Most of the answers are here in this Forum and there are a lot of experienced people who have made the leap of faith already. The answers are often a bitter pill to swallow because the first question involves writing a check or financing a machine that can be difficult to justify. I have found that the majority of the people who are shopping for their first machine are skeptical and tend to be very conservative because they can't grasp the idea that this is a different level of woodworking than they are accustomed.

When I purchased my ShopBot I was financially strapped at the time. It was a huge leap of faith for me to take on that level of debt but I needed to increase my income and I believed that I could make this machine profitable in a short period of time. I did have an active sign job in my shop that made the decision easier but it was still a big decision for me to make when I had zero CNC experience.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-07-2010 at 8:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Jim,

The questions everyone wants answers to are how far do I have to stretch financially to get a reliable CNC Router in my shop? How can it make money? Can I learn to use the software so I can operate a computer controlled machine with zero experience and how long will it take?

Most of the answers are here in this Forum and there are a lot of experienced people who have made the leap of faith already. The answers are often a bitter pill to swallow because the first question involves writing a check or financing a machine that can be difficult to justify. I have found that the majority of the people who are shopping for their first machine are skeptical and tend to be very conservative because they can't grasp the idea that this is a different level of woodworking than they are accustomed.

I think Keith makes a good point there seems to be many CNC machine company's out there and the question is can I made money to pay the machine off. There is also the question should I build or buy, each person has to make there own decision. I decided to buy a small machine first so if things didn't work out then I wouldn't be so much money out of pocket. I have a full time job and the CNC business is on the side.

I personal think if you want to make money with a CNC machine then you need to get out into the market, Keith has always been very open and helpful, there have been many posts on this forum on how to find work.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post

Check out the hand held controller that has a thumb drive slot, you don't need a shop computer to run this machine.
    I use a wireless game pad controller so I am able to move the gantry and operate the router while standing next to the table. I must agree a USB port would be really helpful, although I do like having the computer next to the machine so I can check to file, adjust the speeds and feeds as needed.

Mick
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

Blog Entries
    If anyone owns the Laguna Swift I'd appreciate any feedback. Also include any experience with technical support.

Thank you
    Ernie
    Precision Laser Engraving
    Corel X4 60W Laser
    Stinger II 4x4 w/recoil
    Aspire

If I was a potential owner....

Can Laguna source any individual part an owner would need over its life on these chiwan imported machine (or any of their crazy nice looking machines)?
    Do their phone sales folks know anything about CNC machines that is not on their website? What about their tech support?
    I know Router Bob does not live in Ca, who can help me that is on the phone and in the Ca office when I call them?
    If they change out a dozen brands of machines every couple years, how do I know their support for a machine I buy from them today will exist next year when it is gone?

This is why companies that build only CNC machines are soo successful at selling and supporting them.

If I was looking into Chiwan imports, I would go to a company that knows everything about Chiwan import CNC machines.

Great videos of Router Bob using their machine though.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Also, check out their Puma. OMG!! That is one super awesome crazy looking machine!!! All the above still holds true but I would one heck of a time learning it all myself. That is like a dream machine!!

man 10k for that slow sucker. I get spoiled with fast jog speeds.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Oh yeah Steve! I hear ya. i loved the "real time" watermork on the video at one point. I thought it was in slow motion LOL. Had to blink twice. I was thinking why would you draw attention to that!

been a long time since I could hold wood down with double sided tape.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Yep. I can't even hold down a lot of mine with good ole duct tape. I gotta flycut the spoilboard and seal it as well as possible, and max out our 25 HP vacuum pump to get our little stuff to hold down at 900 inches per minute. Can't go slow and make money in the cabinet business now...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

these jinhan machines will go faster, yet the possibility of step loss is high with the chinese drivers

It's getting to the point where these CNC machines are everywhere. I get the ideal that the smaller ones are toys but how do you figure out which is the best machine for the buck. I have been looking at the new Stinger 11.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

welcome gary, you found one that is definantly in the excellent range for the buck, when we were helping mann tool install one at the store ayoung fellow was pretty excited and his dad made the comment " what you gonna do when these things are all over the place " and his son responded " so what do you want to do, wait and be last" !!

Do you think Grizzly will ever get into this market?????
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---