Thread: tile picture frame.

tile picture frame.

Clients wants a picture frame to hold four tiles. The idea is to make it out of barn boards, and have it look similar to a four pane window. BUT, the tiles have writing around the outside, and are irregular. So, any ideas on how to hold the tiles without using a rabbet, because that would conceal the lettering? He also said no glass.. I'm pretty well stumped.

Aaron

If I am understanding you correctly, it seems you could glue the tiles onto a backerboard that then would fit into the back of the frame letting the outside edge of the backerboard sit in a rabbet. That woul dsecure the tiles and allow the edges wiht lettering to be exposed.
    Does that make sense?

Jim

Yeah, I though about that. But, this is a present for his sister, and the tiles are trophies from a local bike race she does every yr. She only has two of them right now, the others will be added later (if she gets them..) so they have to mount in a way that she can do herself.
    Heres a pic of the tile, and a quick sample of a mount I suggested. He liked the idea but says he wants to stick with the "window frame"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Hancock View Post
    ....so they have to mount in a way that she can do herself.....
    one quick thing comes to mind, building on Jim's idea with a backer board- how about 2 sided adhesive tape, assuming the back of the tile is smooth enough to get good adhesion? Maybe even 2 layers of it if the back of the tile has some minor texture. Doubt the tiles are heavy enough to pull away from the tape over time hanging vertically. But they would be removable from the board if ever needed.

+1 on the tape. If they need to be removeable, adhesive backed hook & loop strips or squares might serve well.