Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steady Rest Fabrication

Steady Rest Fabrication

for admin mostly. I have finished documenting the process I used to fabricate my new steady rest. It is currently in the form of a MSWord document at 851KB or a PDF file at 1,041KB. What do I need to do to make it accessible to everyone.

I noted that MSWord and PDF uploads are limited to 107KB and 156KB respectively. I read about creating an HTML file and zipping it but the resulting file messes up some of my formatting and pictures.

I will be putting a copy of it on my own site but I believe linking to it is prohibited. So what is the best way to get it install here on the creek.
    Last edited by James Combs; 11-04-2010 at 12:09 AM.

"The best things in life are not things."

James,

You can zip the pdf file and attach it to a post here. Zip files can be 2 meg.

We are now running on our new server, the next step that Aaron has planned is to install the vBulletin 4 upgrade which has new features for publishing articles. I don't know what Aaron's time line is for the upgrade but I expect he will try to get it done within the next couple of weeks. When the publishing suite is made available we will be inviting everyone to share their articles, this should be a very nice feature here, along with the ability to post direct links to video files.

Most all of the tutorials are posted in a series of posts within the thread.

When I have done those, I build the text in a Word file, with markers for my pics as to which goes where. Remember, only five pics should be posted in each individual post. Doing this arrangement before posting lets you divide the tutorial into segments that both make sense, and have no more than five pics.

Then, as I do the individual posts, I simply cut and paste the text, upload the pics for that individual post, arrange the pics in the text, and post. Sometimes, a viewer will see the first post and post in between yours - but, that really isn't a problem.

Just saw Keith's post on the zipped .pdf - I have not tried that.

Blog Entries
    James,

I'm waiting to find out what the new publishing capabilities will be... I have a series of tutorials I'd like to make and post, but the blog system currently in place just doesn't cut the mustard.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Zipped version of the PDF file

Here is the PDF file zipped.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-05-2010 at 6:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Most all of the tutorials are posted in a series of posts within the thread.

When I have done those, I build the text in a Word file, with markers for my pics as to which goes where. Remember, only five pics should be posted in each individual post. Doing this arrangement before posting lets you divide the tutorial into segments that both make sense, and have no more than five pics.

Then, as I do the individual posts, I simply cut and paste the text, upload the pics for that individual post, arrange the pics in the text, and post. Sometimes, a viewer will see the first post and post in between yours - but, that really isn't a problem.

Just saw Keith's post on the zipped .pdf - I have not tried that.
    I created it in a MSWord document and was going to post it as you describe but I would like to keep it all together in one file if possible. Lets see how the zipped PDF works out.

Great job. I like the way you cut the angle on the end of the arm holding brackets and attached them. Should be very useful to many!

how do I unzip this file ?

Blog Entries
    Google ZIP compression.. plenty of free (de)compressors out there. 7-Zip comes to mind as my latest fave.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Google ZIP compression.. plenty of free (de)compressors out there. 7-Zip comes to mind as my latest fave.
    Just downloaded 7-Zip at the office earlier to view this file. Apparently, WinZip is no longer a freebie.

Wow, nice set of instructions, James. Thank you very much!!

Great job James, thanks

James - after going through your tutorial - I totally understand why you didn't want to break things up! Would have been very confusing trying to follow dimensioning across several posts!

Very nice work on the steady rest! Exceptionally nice work on your tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

Speaking of sharing - I would like your permission to attach this to my next turning club newsletter. I am sure some member would love to make their own!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Worked really good!
    I have saved it for later when I get a better lathe.
    Thank you
    Terry

No problem

Steve you can use it for what ever you want. I would like to see it put in the "Woodworking Articles and Reviews". How does that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    James - after going through your tutorial - I totally understand why you didn't want to break things up! Would have been very confusing trying to follow dimensioning across several posts!

Very nice work on the steady rest! Exceptionally nice work on your tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

Speaking of sharing - I would like your permission to attach this to my next turning club newsletter. I am sure some member would love to make their own!