Thread: Album Art

Album Art

I just ran across this person's art. They laser cut old vinyl records. I always thought you weren't suppose to laser this stuff, but the art is amazing.

http://www.pavel-sidorenko.com/page/sale/shop-revinyl

Please let me know if I need to remove the link.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have worked for QuickTrophy LLC since 2006.
    Trotec Speedy 360, 3 Universal PLS 360's, 1 M-360, and VLS 230
    We also do color work using a Mimaki UJF-3042Fx and Sublimation Equipment

Neat!

I think that is pretty cool art!

You're definitely not supposed to cut anything PVC, but these are pretty interesting.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Too bad he lives in Estonia. I think shipping to the U.S. would cost double what he charges for the vinyl.
    Terry L. Swift
    Universal M-300 / (upgraded) to 50 Watt
    CorelDraw X4 & X6 / Photograv / Photoshop CS, etc.
    Ricoh SG3110DN Dye Sub 8.5" x 14" Printer / Stahl Maxx 16" x 20" Heat Press

5. Quote Originally Posted by chris degerolamo View Post
    You're definitely not supposed to cut anything PVC, but these are pretty interesting.
    If i understand what happens when cutting PVC, the cloride combines with moisture from the air to form hydrocloric acid. So if you somehow can make sure you have very dry air it shouldnt be any problem cutting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Niklas Bjornestal View Post
    If i understand what happens when cutting PVC, the cloride combines with moisture from the air to form hydrocloric acid. So if you somehow can make sure you have very dry air it shouldnt be any problem cutting it.
    Would you be willing to risk your machine and it's warranty?

I'll admit I've etched things and realized afterward that is was probably not a great idea yet our machine had withstood it. On a production run, it would be a different story...this guy must have a killer exhaust or an ace up his sleeve.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Where does it state that he's laser cutting the designs, I don't see it anywhere on the website. Perhaps CNC or even scroll saw work?

Cutting PVC/Vinyl does create toxic and corrosive gasses, and I have see what it can do to a laser, looked like it has been soaked in salt water for a year or two. On the other hand, there are people that have adapted their machines with protective linings and elaborate air scrubbers that cut PVC for production industrial purposes.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Sorry Joe, I left this link off the first time. http://www.designspongeonline.com/20...yl-clocks.html
    It talks about how he uses lasers.
    I have worked for QuickTrophy LLC since 2006.
    Trotec Speedy 360, 3 Universal PLS 360's, 1 M-360, and VLS 230
    We also do color work using a Mimaki UJF-3042Fx and Sublimation Equipment

Maybe the Vinyl in old records is different somehow? Does anyone know if its something specifically in the vinyl in PVC or just vinyl in general?