Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiring a Jet DC1100 for 230v

Wiring a Jet DC1100 for 230v

My Jet DC 1100 came pre-wired for 115v and I'd like to switch it over to 230v. The manual doesn't really specify how to re-wire for 230v. I'd immagine it's a matter of changing out the plug for a lazy eye plug and a dipswitch somewhere.

I tried googling for it, and I just got a bunch of results of sites trying to sell me jet DC1100s.

-jeremy

Blog Entries
    It should tell you right inside the motor cover with a diagram.

I guess I'm just looking for a little more details, I see the diagram .. and I can make assumptions as to what it means by "tape" etc..

-jeremy

Tape = wire nut. Just follow the diagram. Usually going from 110 to 220 involves switching a couple of wires around.

For 220 both legs are hot so you can use either leg (black or white) to either line out of the motor.

When you buy a plug make sure its rated for 20amp. There are 15amp 220 plugs that are slightly different prong wise.

Also add a 20amp - 220 plug while your at it.

Looking at the manual for the dust collector, it's only about 5 amperes at 240 volts so a 20 ampere circuit isn't needed.

A 15 ampere circuit would be correct.

The manual indicates that the motor should be wired as follows for 240 volts

- white wire, goes to motor lead M1

- black wire, goes to motor lead m4

- join motor leads M2 and M3 together with a wire nut.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    Tape = wire nut.
    Thanks that's the part was I wasn't sure about.

-jeremy

Thanks guys, I've got the same issue. Already installed the outlet for 220v and ordered the Jet DC 1100 because the specs said "prewired for 220" but it arrived with a 110 plug. Instruction manual showed the basic wiring but I was unaware of the one inside the motor. If you see a fireball toward Tennessee it means I wired it wrong.

So, I just opened up my DC-1100VX to rewire as 230v but noticed that the standard 115v wiring from the factory doesn't match the wiring diagram in the manual. M1 and M3 are hooked to the black wire and M2 and M4 are hooked to the white wire. They should be reversed. Here's the 115v and 230v wiring diagrams from the manual:

wiring_115v.jpg wiring_230v.jpg

And here's how I found things wired directly from the factory:

wiring_pic.jpg

I did plug it into 115v and it did function correctly. Is there any danger in running it with hot and neutral reversed like this? What should I do when wiring it for 230v? Keep things reversed with M1 on black and M4 on white or correct the wiring per the diagram in the manual?

Thanks for any info!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Williams View Post
    Is there any danger in running it with hot and neutral reversed like this? What should I do when wiring it for 230v? Keep things reversed with M1 on black and M4 on white or correct the wiring per the diagram in the manual?
    I called Jet's tech support number and they claimed there's no issue with the white and black wires being reversed like this (for 115v or 230v).

Josh,
    I have the collection tor and have run a 220 circuit to it. I am a bit confused by the diagrams as to my eyes the diagrams look the same. Am I missing something? I don't want to fry my collector.

Jack,

Take a close look at where leads 2 & 3 land in the motor junction box, that is where the change is made.

The question I have is why change. The motor will have exactly the same power on either voltage as long as the wiring in the wall is adequate.

Do not be confused by all the voltages being thrown around in this discussion. Any modern North American wiring is 120/240. the other voltages being mentioned used to be standards in some areas for a few decades when house hold electrcity was first introduced by Mr. Edison.
    !20/240 became pretty much standard 75 years ago or more.
    Bill

I hope by now Jeremy got his DC up and running.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-06-2017 at 3:57 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Big question is whether you have to change the start capacitor.