Thread: DP or Oscillating Spindle sander

DP or Oscillating Spindle sander

Happy Holidays all.

Just a quick post. DP or oscillating spindle sander? i figured I could just use the drums on a DP if needed. What're your opinions?

Thanks,

Sean

Both!

I started with a Delta OSS kit for my drill press. I used that set-up for several years and it worked well. It even included a base that has a place to attach a shop vac. For periodic use, you wouldn't go wrong with this set-up.

I got tired of switching from drilling to sanding and back to drilling, so picked up a Delta BOSS bench top unit. There are more choices in spindle sizes and sandpaper grits which make it faster and more flexible, so I'm happy with the upgrade. Two thoughts on the BOSS - dust collection is not a strong point, and the sanding sleeves are terribly expensive from Delta - Klingspore and others sell identical sleeves for much better prices.

Neal

Shop Fox makes a benchtop DP and OSS combo. I won't say it's the cats meow but it works fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal White
    ...thoughts on the BOSS - dust collection is not a strong point...
    I've found the opposite to be true with mine...the collection is excellent, albeit noisy due to the venturi effect of reducing down to the small port on the machine. But there is NO dust on the workpiece or table when I'm running the machine. My only complaint with the BOSS is the lack of table tilt, but nothing in it's class when I bought mine a number of years ago offered that feature as the Jet and similar do now. Yes, the sleeves are not inexpensive, but I'm actually still using the originals...I just clean them frequently with a crepe stick!

To the originator of the thread...again, buying tools is something that should be dictated by your needs. Which of the two choices you pose will support your projects more?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Sean,

If you are tight on space or $$$ (It seems both are in a constant shortage here!) I would seriously look at the Shop Fox mentioned above. I like the bigger model H0626 $220 + $55 shipping. The price will probably go up after the first of the year.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Let me clarify

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I've found the opposite to be true with mine...the collection is excellent, albeit noisy due to the venturi effect of reducing down to the small port on the machine. But there is NO dust on the workpiece or table when I'm running the machine.

What I should have said is that as I get older, I've become more sensitive to airborne dust. The cloth bag that came with the BOSS seemed to be such an open weave, that I doubted that it would catch anything smallerthan my cat, let alone dust in the damaging 3 to 30 micron range. So I always hook it up to my HEPA filter equipped shop vac. Delta chose to make the dust port a non-standard size,so this always involves duct tape and colorful language in about equal proportions.

" Yes, the sleeves are not inexpensive, but I'm actually still using the originals...I just clean them frequently with a crepe stick. "

I, too, am using some of the originals. To add insult to injury, Delta makes you buy these things in 6 packs. Now 6 packs may be fine for certain adult beverages, but I just don't need that many sanding sleeves, at least all of the same size and grit! If I stocked up on all the sizes and grits I want, I'd have more money invested than in my 401K. Klingspore lets me buy these beauties one at a time!

"To the originator of the thread...again, buying tools is something that should be dictated by your needs. Which of the two choices you pose will support your projects more?
    "

What Jim said!

Sean
    I would go with a oss since the bearings in a dp are not designed for side force and tend to go bad quickly if used for sanding.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Sean,

Or get the DP and build this unit to get your oscillating spindle sander

John

http://store.yahoo.com/backissuesstore/sn032.html

How about one of these?

This is the PC121 OSS. It can be mounted via a plate (that one is from Woodpeckers) or used handheld. I often leave the plate attached even when I use it handheld.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 12-30-2004 at 1:16 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Red face Get the Ridgid

benchtop oscillating spindle/belt sander. It ises standard 4x24" belts and standard 4 1/2" spindles. Good dust control too. I have one and it works great.

Hey Chris,

You didn't tell him what it is. With out the details you niftyness on your oss is missed.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Very impressed with the Jet OSS.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Sorry, Charles...added some info!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I would also recommend the PC OSS with a plate for the router table. I think that works pretty well. Like Chris, I leave mine attached to the plate when I hand hold it. I've also found that if I have my router table set up with the router, I can just clamp the OSS plate to my bench and use it that way.