Thread: Byrd shelix instalation in a DD-20...anything I should know?

Byrd shelix instalation in a DD-20...anything I should know?

My shelix head from Holbren was on the porch tonight when I got home. From those who have installed them, and specifically in a DJ-20 or similar Grizzly jointer, anything I should know prior to instalation? I appreciate any advice as I have never changed a jointer head and seem to hit every other bump in the road with my chin.

Important tool is pair of leather gloves

Most of the rest of the process is intuitive.
    Those little cutter heads are sharp!!!!!

John

Retainer ring pliers? Where the heck did I put those retainer ring pliers? Oh, found them....squeeze.....snap......pow....cheap pliers!!!!! Why the bleeeeeeeep did I buy the cheap pliers. "Honey, what time does the home depot open? 6AM!

Ok, got real retainer ring pliers now...not the $6 set from tractor supply....ring comes right off and........time to go to work! Job? Pesky job, don't they know I have a byrd head to instal?

So just for the record, a good set of retainer ring pliers is essential for this install.

Just curious what the cost was for the Byrd head. I also have a DJ20. Just thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Just curious what the cost was for the Byrd head. I also have a DJ20. Just thinking.
    Just over $400 delivered, from Holbren, using SMC 10% member discount, free shipping and bearings included. I may have it installed tomorrow. Its really a pretty simple affair, I just didn't have the right retainer ring pliers, and without them is nearly impossible to remove the bearing on the drive pulley side. It also requires a gear puller that I did have, and they can be rented or borrowed from many auto parts stores. I love good tooling, and its a thing of beauty. 5 gleaming rows of razor sharp carbide in helix formation ready to chew wood!

I'd be grateful for your thoughts on it, once you get it up and running, and have a few board-feet through it.

Though it would be pure insanity to put such a thing on my Ridgid JP0610 6" jointer ... that doesn't mean I wouldn't ever do it

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    I'd be grateful for your thoughts on it, once you get it up and running, and have a few board-feet through it.

Though it would be pure insanity to put such a thing on my Ridgid JP0610 6" jointer ... that doesn't mean I wouldn't ever do it
    Well, its running! It is a pretty simple exchange. My kids are asleep in their rooms above my shop, so I just fired it up for a second, and man is it quiet! I pushed a narlly piece of jatoba through that gave my straight knives a problems, and it came off smooth as glass. Initial reaction? Why didn't I do this years ago?

I'll let you know when I have passed a bit more wood over it but so fr I'm thrilled.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    your planer is next.

James

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    your planer is next.

James
    I'm having that same feeling presently. I just finished a small side job that pays about the cost of a 15" byrd head...so the money is there, and I'm seriously considering upgrading my DC-380 o a spiral. Seems like a logical move. Byrd has a review of the process on a 15" four post planer like a powermatic, but I haven't found instructions for the DC-380.

So I have put a few different things over the head now, and I'm thrilled. I just passed a piece of fairly figured birds eye maple over it, no tear out at all! My straight knives would have torn that up bad! I have a nice chunk of heavy 8/4 walnut crotch that i figure to make some door panel veneers with, and I couldn't bring myself to joint that just for fun and testing. But I did also run some santos, bubinga, and jatoba, all perfect. Now, honestly the surface quality is not as good as the straight knives when they are sharp on normal wood, but the quietness and no tearout wins that race by a mile IMO.

Only question left in my mind is where to by the head for my dc-380?