Thread: Engravings bleached bones?

Engravings bleached bones?

Have have a butcher and she wants me to engrave a shoulder blade. The bones have been bleached though. Any thoughts on the potential residue of the bleach?

Initially the sample she provided smelled a little so I ran it through the water for an hour and now the smell has gone. I suspect some of it could remain in the marrow?

I just don't want to go creating cholorine gas. I am just hitting the surface.
    Shawn
    Brainstorm Kingston
    Kingston, NY

Epilog Helix 40W
    Purex Filtration Unit
    Gast Air Compressor

I have engraved beef and buffalo bone. They engrave nicely very dark never had any problems but I did all of the prep myself. I used peroxide for the final bleaching, but I boiled them in water with Dawn dish soap to remove grease. You could leave it outside for a couple of days in the elements and it would be fine. Running it under the hot water should have taken off the majority of surface bleach because you shouldn't be burning that deep.

you'll have a different sort of smell altogether.
    I hate doing bone, antler etc. they stink!

any experimantion with fresh vs processed? I am wondering if the engraving was done with a soft new bone before it was processed if you could get some depth into it?

The butcher that want the work done is right down the street from us so I plan on trying a few routes anyhow but curious of other results.

I did do a quick test on a smaller pig bone and other then being too curvey to engrave a big area, the are I could focus on did come out dark.

Vector lines look dark and sharp as well.
    Shawn
    Brainstorm Kingston
    Kingston, NY

Epilog Helix 40W
    Purex Filtration Unit
    Gast Air Compressor