Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Electric Chainsaw

Good Electric Chainsaw

Is there such a thing as a good electric chainsaw ? I will just use it to cut pieces for the lathe. I know I wouldnt be able to take it in the woods but I dont really want a gas one.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Turner View Post
    Is there such a thing as a good electric chainsaw ? I will just use it to cut pieces for the lathe. I know I wouldnt be able to take it in the woods but I dont really want a gas one.

Stihl has a fairly good one, though I do not know the model number. Stay away from the Remington and others.........they are dangerous. Stihl knows the chainsaw business in and out, and makes good stuff.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Ditto.....................

Did a lot of research years ago and bought a Husky electric. Really like it and use it a lot in the shop near or even on the lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Turner View Post
    Mike I have both, good size Stihl gas chainsaw and a Poulan electric Chainsaw.

As I don't want to use the gas saw in the shop, (I don't run well on 2 stroke fumes )

I started out some years ago with a small Poulan and it didn't last but a year or so, got another one, same thing, then believing some other turners, I got a Remington that thing didn't last a week

So last call for the largest Poulan they sold, ..........just had to look it up when that was, (still have the box here) October 01, so 9 years and still going strong, the small ones didn't last for me but the large one is a tough one, Oh BTW Poulan is a Husqvarna company.

It has an automatic oiler, and doesn't leak like the small ones that you also have to keep pushing a button to get oil to the chain, a pain in the neck.

So for what it is worth, the biggest Poulan does work for me, and I use very large pieces of wood often enough, that I have the bar buried and got to saw from both side to cut the piece up (18" bar)
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 10-29-2010 at 9:07 PM.
    Have fun and take care

I have an E20 Stihl which is now the MSE220. These are incredible electric units. Not quite as much chain speed as the gas but plenty of power. I have an 18" bar on mine but it will take up to a 20" bar. I paid $200 used for mine. New they are a bit over $500. It is considered a professional unit. I prefer this to an gas unit when I am cutting blanks at the shop.

Good Luck

Alan

Stihl has about the best I have used.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have a 16" homelite. When I bought it I thought I'd just use it for little things but I was totally blown away at how well it works. The only problem I have with it is it goes through oil pretty fast. Not really a big deal though.

I have the 16" Husky and it works like a charm.

I have an 18" Craftsman. Works great and has a five year warranty. $99 on sale.

Good to see this topic being covered, I was just wondering the same thing.

Is this the Poulan model that people seem to be having good luck with?

http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-400E-18...0609442&sr=8-1

Also, does anyone know who actually manufactures the Craftsman models? If the warranty/return policy is better there, they might be the best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    Good to see this topic being covered, I was just wondering the same thing.

Is this the Poulan model that people seem to be having good luck with?

http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-400E-18...0609442&sr=8-1

Also, does anyone know who actually manufactures the Craftsman models? If the warranty/return policy is better there, they might be the best bet.
    That Poulan looks identical to mine but is the newer Model, (more HP ?)

I did pay more $$ though 10 years ago or so

I have no clue who/where the Craftsman saw is made, sorry.
    Have fun and take care

Beware of lower price but a seemingly good warranty. The company could just simply reject a warranty claim. Pay the extra dollar and get a good product.

Recent experience for me: bought a nicely built ATV trailer and the Chinese-made tires literally fell apart after only a season of hauling. After submitting photos, the company asserted that it was "not a manufacturer's defect". The tires on my J. Deere lawnmower are original and have been used for MANY years. Still good. My ATV tires too.

Could happen with a chainsaw too. My advice--don't buy a Polar (Clam Corp.) ATV trailer. Customer service and warranty are terrible.

I have an 18" Craftsman and I keep waiting for the thing to quit on me, but the dang thing keeps on running!

Stihl MSE220 is the king of the electric crowd. Makita has some nice electrics too.