Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Florida lumber suppliers..

South Florida lumber suppliers..

I recently moved to S. Florida and did a search on wood finder and only found 3 hardwood suppliers (1 was woodcraft). Are there any creekers out there that know of good suppliers in the area or am I going to be limited to mail order?

Note: The other 2 seem to be quite a bit more expensive than I'm used to (am from Michigan) ... even for exotics.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to florida, once you stay for a winter here you'll never want to leave.

-jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hinze View Post
    I recently moved to S. Florida and did a search on wood finder and only found 3 hardwood suppliers (1 was woodcraft). Are there any creekers out there that know of good suppliers in the area or am I going to be limited to mail order?

Note: The other 2 seem to be quite a bit more expensive than I'm used to (am from Michigan) ... even for exotics.

Thanks in advance.
    where in so florida?? I live in port st. lucie, fl And i get my wood at a very good price. The first place is high on wood price's woodcraft all of them incluiding Constantines Wood Center They don't sell that much so they keep the price high. let me know i may be able to help

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Greiner View Post
    Welcome to florida, once you stay for a winter here you'll never want to leave.

-jeremy
    Thanks Jeremy... I went to high school here 20 years ago, went to college in Michigan and stayed a while, am back now

I'm right in that area... Davie / Ft. Lauderdale. But for good prices am not opposed to a little travel. I'm just amazed at the "lack" of options I suppose ...

Quote Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
    where in so florida?? I live in port st. lucie, fl And i get my wood at a very good price. The first place is high on wood price's woodcraft all of them incluiding Constantines Wood Center They don't sell that much so they keep the price high. let me know i may be able to help

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hinze View Post
    I'm right in that area... Davie / Ft. Lauderdale. But for good prices am not opposed to a little travel. I'm just amazed at the "lack" of options I suppose ...
    I am over on the left coast (Fort Myers, FL) and I have only found one hardwood supplier, other than Woodcraft. It's called Alva Hardwoods and is a little east of here, in Alva, FL. I'd be interested in learning of any others, and like you, I'm willing to drive for a bit to find it. My Honda Civic gets great gas mileage!

Sheridan Lumber

Jim,

Welcome to South Florida. Sheridan Lumber in Hollywood has a nice selection of hardwoods but they aren't cheap. If for no other reason you should go there just to see what they have.

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Rogers; 10-29-2010 at 1:26 PM.

The lumber is free if you dare to take it.

Welcome to South Florida. I am also in the area. General Hardwoods is another local dealer. They are off SR 84 west of Federal Highway (US1). I think there might be a couple suppliers in Miami

Welcome to So. Fla. Jim.

+1 on General Hardwoods & Millwork...954-463-2577..nice folks, helpful. Extensive supply. No affiliation.

Sheridan Lumber, southeast corner of Sheridan St. and Dixie Hwy, Hollywood, some hardwood, not exotics...large facility.

My Hlwd phone book shows Medly Hardwoods, domestic & exotics, Dade Cty, 305-887-1115.

Lots of other suppliers in Dade County as Larry suggested....I have no first hand info though.

HTH.

Art.

Thanks all, I will check out all the dealers mentioned. Is most helpfull establishing myself in the area... am used to having a prethera of hardwoods availabile

Blog Entries
    Im up by Tampa and I am just starting to crack the nut on the best places to find lumber. Sense joining the tampa woodcrafters I am starting to learn where the guys that have been here 20-30 years go to get there lumber.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
    Im up by Tampa and I am just starting to crack the nut on the best places to find lumber. Sense joining the tampa woodcrafters I am starting to learn where the guys that have been here 20-30 years go to get there lumber.
    I'd rather drive to Tampa than Miami, so when you learn of those sources, please share them! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
    I also live in Port St Lucie. Can I ask where you purchase your lumber?

I have been getting my lumber at Sturgis Lumber & Plywood Co. in Vero Beach

If you can befriend your local cabinet shop folks and if they happen to buy from these guys, http://www.dixieply.com/miami.shtml, you may be able to buy from them on a cash, courtesy basis. Shhhh, don't tell anyone.....

It's who you know.........Florida is, for the most part, a hard place to get good hardwoods at a good price. I've tried to get stuff shipped here, (Orlando), costs an arm and a leg.

-Paul