Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Achieving the impossible

Achieving the impossible

My boss told me today that I need to figure out how to engrave the word "SAMPLE" on 12,000 dental implant screws. The screw is about 1/8" x 7/16". I can either engrave on the threads or along the top ridge (which is only .018" in diameter). The punchline is that my x-axis motor went out today and I need to let her know if I will be able to do this by tomorrow. Does anyone know how I should go about this?
    45w Epilog Lengend 36EXT, 20w Epilog Fibermark, Corel x5, and SolidWorks 2011 using Windows 7.

I wish I could offer more advice then the following:

It seems like a sign from the All Mighty (that your X-axis is out) to not take on the job.

Good luck

That size is going to be impossible to engrave. The fixture to hold the screws would be a piece of cake but you can't engrave that small. The text would be .345 points and the individual lines that comprise the text is smaller than the laser beam on any machine I know of at .00043" - that's arial at a width of .01524. The smallest text you can laser legibly is goint to have lines of about .005 wide, the typical width of a laser beam. Unless a galvo laser has a smaller beam, I think you are out of luck.

Oh, and even if you can engrave that small, you can't see it without magnification so it would be pretty useless.

Gary
    Last edited by Gary Hair; 10-28-2010 at 4:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Chris,

On the ULS, there's a lens option called HPDFO that will net you 1mil spot size... I do not know what Epilog calls it, but I know they have a similar option.

Your jig will have to be very tight in tolerance (no wiggling), but 18 mil faces are definitely doable. With such a tight focal point, you could most likely mark the metal directly, but I would still consider Cermark for speed (as funny as that sounds).

EDIT: Another option would be to have a local die shop create you a hardened steel stamp ('SAMPLE') that you could press into the threads, though I imagine with dental implants the metal may be too tough to stamp anything into.

EDIT 2: I don't know where you are, but if you don't want the job, I'd be interested...
    Last edited by Dan Hintz; 10-28-2010 at 6:23 PM. Reason: added an option
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post

EDIT: Another option would be to have a local die shop create you a hardened steel stamp ('SAMPLE') that you could press into the threads, though I imagine with dental implants the metal may be too tough to stamp anything into.
    usually pure titanium, I think.

I read this thread and I am caused to wonder "Why?"

Seriously...I really am curious...why would someone want the word "Sample" engraved on 12,000 screws.

I could understand a company name, or logo, or ... But "Sample"? My mind tends to think along line of marketing. I can't get my head around this one.

Thanks.
    Jim Coffee
    James Coffee Studios
    Epilog 24TT, 45W, Nikon D7100, Corel Draw, PhotoShop CC, Lightroom CC, etc.
    Escondido, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Coffee View Post
    I read this thread and I am caused to wonder "Why?"

Seriously...I really am curious...why would someone want the word "Sample" engraved on 12,000 screws.

I could understand a company name, or logo, or ... But "Sample"? My mind tends to think along line of marketing. I can't get my head around this one.

Thanks.
    I guess they don't want Dentists to accidentally use them. Thousands of years from now when archeologists are examining fossil remains they will be stumped by the words "SAMPLE" imprinted on the screws.
    -
    Zing 24 - 40 watts
    Corel X3/X5/X6
    Autocad 2016

This...

Code:
    And...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra1do...eature=related

=)
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Coffee View Post
    These screws have probably not passed inspection like ones that will go into someone jaw... as such, the company does not want to hand them out and have them inadvertently end up in someone's medical toolchest (leading to a lawsuit down the road... can you imagine walking into a courtroom with proof the metal rods in your body have the word 'sample' written on them?).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe De Medeiros View Post
    I guess they don't want Dentists to accidentally use them. Thousands of years from now when archeologists are examining fossil remains they will be stumped by the words "SAMPLE" imprinted on the screws.
    yes that's exactly right. It's a liability issue. We make models for dental/bone implants that are not intended for human use, so we have to put "SAMPLE" on them so if some not-so-smart doctor decides to try to use them, we won't get sued!
    45w Epilog Lengend 36EXT, 20w Epilog Fibermark, Corel x5, and SolidWorks 2011 using Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Stone View Post
    usually pure titanium, I think.
    they are pure titanium. I was doubtful the laser would be able to make such a small, precise mark.

Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like this project is just not going to work out in the end. The funny part is, my boss said if the laser can't do it, find a machine that can. Thank God she already told the customer we could do it without asking THE ENGRAVER first.... crazy concept, I know.

Blog Entries
    Chris,

Read my first post... if you can't do it, I'll take the project on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Mahoney View Post
    My boss told me today that I need to figure out how to engrave the word "SAMPLE" on 12,000 dental implant screws. The screw is about 1/8" x 7/16". I can either engrave on the threads or along the top ridge (which is only .018" in diameter). The punchline is that my x-axis motor went out today and I need to let her know if I will be able to do this by tomorrow. Does anyone know how I should go about this?

I'm sorry everyone but I miss-typed the measurement of the diameter! its 0.18"!!! the width of the area for the word to go on is about 1mm. sorry for the typo!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Chris,

On the ULS, there's a lens option called HPDFO that will net you 1mil spot size... I do not know what Epilog calls it, but I know they have a similar option.

Your jig will have to be very tight in tolerance (no wiggling), but 18 mil faces are definitely doable. With such a tight focal point, you could most likely mark the metal directly, but I would still consider Cermark for speed (as funny as that sounds).

EDIT 2: I don't know where you are, but if you don't want the job, I'd be interested...
    I haven't seen any option relating to that but I'll look again! the screws are titanium so I don't think stamping them will be very easy. I'm in northern Indiana if you are anywhere near there