Thread: Well decided to stop waiting and just get a better fence.

Well decided to stop waiting and just get a better fence.

I have a Craftsman Contractors saw that I have been tinkering and slightly upgrading since I have had it. I have always wanted a cabinet saw, but in my first shop I was severly limited in electrical supply. So the Craftsman was easy choice. Over the last couple years I done a couple mods that increased its accuracy. Including making my own set of PALS. I actually had to take the whole carriage apart and open 2 of the holes more with a file to get it truely aligned. I added a link belt. And ordered an extra set of fence rails and extended its rip capacity to 50".

This all worked out pretty well, but the fence is still finiky and just not that easy to adjust for parallel. I am in my new shop for a couple years now and it has its own 200amp service. But I am just not ready to pay for the saw I want. So, I decided to pull the trigger and buy a shop fox fence and 7' rails. If I do get a cabinet saw I was going to keep the Craftsman as a 2nd saw anyway. So I think the fence will be worth it even though that would be a good chunk of change to put towards a cabinet saw.

Ben, I read your post a couple of times. I think you are asking if the money will be well spent? I would tell you to save the money toward the Cab TS. I recently bought a new Cab TS replacing a 30 year old CM that had been a great saw. As all will tell you - no comparison. Save your money for a new saw.
    Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????

Hard to disagree with Gene, but ... honestly ... I've followed a route much like yours.

I've got a Bosch 4100. I have the digital rip fence, in and outfeed extensions, an Incra 1000SE miter gauge, a Forrest WWII blade, and a Forrest Dado King stack.

Much of that -- obviously -- WILL transfer if/when I drop the dough, and buy a Big Boy saw

But ... I'll tell ya' ... my saw really does a darned fine job at every realistic thing I ask of it.

I'll eventually have a Uni, or a PM, or a SS, or some Grizzly 1023xx or another, but ... I think it will be much more out of want than need !

Good luck either way !

Ben, I followed the same path as well. In fact, I just installed that new fence the other day. I still haven't finished aligning it but it seems pretty spot on right out of the box. I, too, would love a 3 hp cabinet saw some day, but I'm happy with my choice.

My biggest reason to get a new fence, beis style, was the fact that it locks on the front rail only. That allows me to put an outfeed table right up against the back of the saw table. I hated it when a piece would get hung up on the lip of my outfeed table. I figured that I'd be able to buy a cabinet saw without a fence one day and just transfer my new fence over to it. Besides that, I was able to sell my old fence for a slab of ash, 30" wide, 2" thick, and 7' long!

Well I have enough room to have 2 saws in my shop. When I do finally pull the trigger on a cabinet saw. Wife actually wants me to buy a Saw Stop. If I were to get a Griz I could have ordered it already. I was going to keep the Craftsman. So, I always planned on buying a new fence. I was thinking if I did get a cabinet saw. I would order with the short rails. And then swap them over. Don't need 2 - 4' wide ripping saws.

Ben having just picked up a contractor's saw today- I have a question for you.

First I'll say I did the same thing with my previous saw, one of the Bosch 4100s. I put a Muleworks Accufence on it and it just changed the work experience, well worth it and the value was recognized by the buyer when I sold it on Craig's although I remember you said you are keeping it.

My question is somewhat off topic and I appreciate your answer. I just picked up a Foremost Machinery brand contractor style table saw this morning. It is a 24 yr old saw but still in pretty good shape and somewhat compact. The 2 HP motor just hums. My question is whether you noticed much difference when you put on the link belt. I don't feel like there is a specific big problem but would like the saw running as smoothly as possible. It will be a second saw.

Thanks,
    Larry R
    Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Rasmussen View Post
    First I'll say I did the same thing with my previous saw, one of the Bosch 4100s. I put a Muleworks Accufence on it and it just changed the work experience, well worth it and the value was recognized by the buyer when I sold it on Craig's although I remember you said you are keeping it.

My question is somewhat off topic and I appreciate your answer. I just picked up a Foremost Machinery brand contractor style table saw this morning. It is a 24 yr old saw but still in pretty good shape and somewhat compact. The 2 HP motor just hums. My question is whether you noticed much difference when you put on the link belt. I don't feel like there is a specific big problem but would like the saw running as smoothly as possible. It will be a second saw.

Thanks,
    Larry R
    Seattle
    Well I did the machined pulleys and link belt at the same time (from In-Line Industries). I do believe there is less vibration, and less noise from the combination. The plastic belt cover used to make some noise when ever it was running. Now I don't hear it at all. One of the biggest changes I made though was going with Forrest and good Freud blades made for each task (crosscut / ripping). I was using the less expensive combination blades. I now take the time to change blades. And it makes a difference using the saw. I have also been tempted to buy a true 2hp motor for the saw. I think another 1/2 hp or so over the stock 1 1/2hp would make a difference (saw says 3hp but most know the gimmic Sears uses). Buy now that I have seen the light on good blades. I would like to have a cross cut saw, and a rip saw. If I ran into a nicely priced contractors I may just pick it up for a 2nd.