Thread: CL air compressor

CL air compressor

Hi again, second thread for me and both have been for advise on tools. I'm getting my shop built out and I'll need an air compressor but I have no frame of reference as to what might be a good deal.

I think I want a two-stage, 230V unit. I know I want it to be horizontal.

I'm planning on plumbing my shop and attached garage with airlines. Put together, both rooms are a combined 45x35. As of now, however, I wouldn't be doing anything more than filling tires and blowing dust off of sanded work. I imagine small air-tools in my future, though.

Would this be a good pick-up? http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2021611191.html

Thanks again for the advise on this site. I've made it to page 50...

Its hard to make out the nameplate, but that looks like a 1HP motor.

The good thing about this compressor is that it is likely rated for continuous duty. There's nothing you can do to it that will kill it, unless you never drain the tank or change the oil, and if it wears out you can rebuild it fairly cheaply. It is likely to have an ASME rated tank with inspection ports that you can get certified. It is probably worth the asking price if it is in good functional order. You will probably want to ask for a discount if the tank cert has expired. It should be on a tag on the tank. I can't tell from the cylinder configuration, but this is probably two cylinder, single stage, good for 90-110 psi. That's pretty normal. You get more storage capacity out of a 175psi 2 stage system, but they aren't quite as efficient and don't usually provide quite as much continuous CFM per motor horsepower as a single stage compressor.

However, 1hp isn't going to provide you with a whole lot of CFM. 3-4 cfm per real horsepower is a good rule of thumb. This compressor is going to be pretty quiet and good for inflating things, blowing off dust, running an impact wrench or air ratchet, and maybe painting using a detail gun in short bursts, but for use with an HVLP gun, DA sander, or sandblasting you will definitely need more air. The good thing about a compressor like this is that you can add an extra tank and just let the motor run longer. This compressor won't care about that. That will give you more air time on a charged system if you are doing things in bursts and don't mind waiting for the air system to top off.

If you buy this unit, and then decide you need more CFM, you have a couple of options- you could add another motor and compressor to the tank, or you could sell the unit for about what you paid.

I have an industrial continuous duty Quincy compressor with a horizontal tank and 2.5 HP motor. Mine runs about 6.5 cfm (I actually measured it), and its rated for continuous duty. It is pretty quiet and never complains. I got it off Craigslist as well, and I'm really happy with it. These compressors are designed for things like HVAC controls and dentist's offices, where they have to run 24/7 without breaking down.

In addition, that may be a 3 phase motor. Be sure to check, you will either want to replace it or come up with a 3 phase power supply.
    Last edited by Josiah Bartlett; 10-27-2010 at 3:03 AM.

http://sawdustmaking.com/AirCompress...compressor.htm

is a really good basics of air compressor primer.

You need more info on this unit

Or better still, visit the compressor and seller to inspect it closely. While the Quincy Unit that Josiah talked about may handle continous duty, most commercial units are NOT rated for that in the size you're looking for unless spec'd for that by the manuf. Standard duty, decent commerical pumps are usually rated 80/20, or 70/30 if they're lighter rated. With synthetic oil in the new pumps, you do have some people/factories willing to rate them as continous duty. This compressor looks like it might be an older Champion pump that's rebadged for Grainger/Speedaire's house brand. If you get the model # off the pump/unit, you can check with Grainger probably on the specs for it.
    1HP is pretty small, even though this could be a tougher unit than a big box store will ever sell you. As Josiah pointed out, it's good for small tasks, but not hungrier air tools. A strong 3/8" ratchet will pull more air than you think because unlike an impact tool, a ratchet runs longer since it doesn't work at the same fast RPMs of an impact wrench.
    Horizontal tank units used to be common, now everyone has a vertical tank due to space issues. I'd hold out for a 3 or 5HP unit so you can run more of the tools you're talking about in the future unless you just really want air now.
    Sanders are your biggest liability with regards to consumption. They eat up air like you wouldn't believe. Some are better than others, but really decide if air tool sanding is where you want to go by checking out the LOAD consumption specs of the sander if they're even available before you buy a single air sander. Many sanders pull 15 to 25 CFM under a working load and will run a tank down in a hurry with that much of a drain on the full tank while you're hard at work sanding.
    Many air tools are sold with the dead common "4 CFM" rating. It's about as a big a lie as the "peak horsepower" motor ratings on alot of tools.
    Anyway, the unit could be your first starter compressor, just don't expect the world out of it, and take care to find out if it is indeed a 3 phase motor since the picture isn't the clearest.

Why would you want it to be horizontal? I have two small compressors that are horizontal. Wish they were verticle. They take up much less floor space.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Paulus View Post
    Why would you want it to be horizontal? I have two small compressors that are horizontal. Wish they were verticle. They take up much less floor space.
    Marty, are you asking the OP? He wants that, not me. However, it's easier to do major work on a horizontal unit since you're already closer to the ground for lifting purposes like motor or pump removal.

If you can stand owning a vertical model this is a much better deal. It will handle ANYTHING you can throw at it with air to spare!
    If I didn't already own a compressor I'd jump on this like a bum on a bologna sandwich.

info: Ingersoll Rand 2340L5

Last edited by G. Brad Schmidt; 10-27-2010 at 3:06 PM.
    Redheads are like other women – only more so

Quote Originally Posted by G. Brad Schmidt View Post
    If you can stand owning a vertical model this is a much better deal. It will handle ANYTHING you can throw at it with air to spare!
    If I didn't already own a compressor I'd jump on this like a bum on a bologna sandwich.

info: Ingersoll Rand 2340L5

Looks like a nice unit, a bit fast on the pump RPM for my tastes but anyone who wants it should hurry before lawyers and soon to be ex-wives get their hands on it.

Blog Entries
    Chris, a 30 gallon tank is pretty small for a 2-stage compressor. It will be fine for filling tires & blowing things off. The IR that Brad posted is a much better deal.

Blog Entries
    I'm mentioning tank size because that will control how often the compressor kicks on and off. If the compressor is in the same room then it will get very annoying (and decrease the life of the compressor).

@Marty:

I'm looking for a horizontal unit because I've built a cubby for my Clear Vue and urinal. I plan on putting the noisy compressor in the same cubby, but above the urinal on it's own platform:

As you can see, the cubby is insulated but no sheet rock for better sound absorbtion. The Clear Vue will go to the right of where I'm standing and the compressor's platform will go directly above. I have 10' ceilings.

@Callan:

Thanks for the advice. Air isn't an immediate requirement, so I'll probably hold off for now. The woodworker show is coming up and I'm planning on spending a bit there on straight edges, a TS fence, and dial gauges. My wife's spending approvals are in short supply...
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-27-2010 at 2:50 PM. Reason: Removed photo that might be considered offensive.

Ahhh Urinal in the shop. Gotcha! I am guessing there is a fridge in there to support the urinal necessity??

@Callan:

Thanks for the advice. Air isn't an immediate requirement, so I'll probably hold off for now. The woodworker show is coming up and I'm planning on spending a bit there on straight edges, a TS fence, and dial gauges. My wife's spending approvals are in short supply...
    [/QUOTE] Gotcha!! At least you can plan and watch for used deals accordingly. However, that IR unit that was posted is a steal for the price. Someone can buy it for that price and resell it a good bit higher and still save the new buyer some cash over a comparable new model from a store or retailer.

Beer fridge, yes

Marty, actually yes, I do have a fridge in my shop. It houses up to three 5-gallon kegs that I keep my home brew in.

Eventually, the kegerator will go back downstairs to my basement but I'm enjoying it where it is for now.

That IR is 69" tall, so the only way I could use it would be to push it up between the joists. Now that I think about it, I can't think of any reason why NOT to. Yes, my daughter's bedroom is right there, but an extra layer of insulation should make it bearable.