Thread: Cookies

Cookies

(This probably belongs in the 'off-topic' forum, but (1) I usually don't go there and (2) this forum is top-heavy with computer types.)

Seems like every couple of days I have to fix my Google settings (the 'open search results in new tab" is a particular culprit), and I've seen other (presumably) cookie-related things go walk-about randomly. It doesn't appear to correlate to reboots or restarts of IE.

Does anyone know offhand where the control to hardset cookie permanance is hiding in IE8 (or elsewhere)? The few solutions I've found online only seem to be valid for IE7 or earlier, as they refer to options that don't appear to exist anymore.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Lee,

May I suggest you try/use FireFox instead?
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

While all browsers have security risks, Firefox has less than IE most of the time and you can have both installed at the same time. I might have suggested Google chrome, but I feel it's "not ready for prime time" just yet.

Alternatively, see if this helps...
    http://www.brighthub.com/computing/w...les/67648.aspx
    Last edited by Robert Walters; 10-26-2010 at 3:54 PM.
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

Lee

I think we should move this to the off topic forum but in the meantime have you looked at the tools> "internet options" tab>privacy.

I don't know whether changing that cookie setting would help or hurt. Are you up to date with all the MS patches?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    ...in the meantime have you looked at the tools> "internet options" tab>privacy.

I don't know whether changing that cookie setting would help or hurt. Are you up to date with all the MS patches?
    Yes and yes.

Those settings seem to control which cookies are accepted...my problem seems to be more one of how long already-accepted cookies are kept. (IE7 apparently had some now-missing options on that tab.) The only thing I've found that applies to that is the one that makes all cookies "per-session", i.e. clears them all at shutdown, which I suppose makes sense on a public computer but is otherwise pointless.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Lee, nice seeing your still kickin ! Could it be a third party security setting that is set to not keep cookies, an update maybe ? Good luck.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

I use the free version of AVG virus protection. I've set it to check for "bad" cookies and it does seem to clear them all up.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    Lee, nice seeing your still kickin ! Could it be a third party security setting that is set to not keep cookies, an update maybe ? Good luck.
    I've been hiding over in the engraving forum mostly...they moved this thread here, which kind of outted me.

I'm using box-standard MS Security Essentials, which AFAIK doesn't diddle cookies unnecessarily. It's like some of them just sort of disappear after a week or so.