Thread: Filing new Teeth

Blog Entries

Filing new Teeth

I have a saw that I need to cut new teeth in.
    I know I have seen printable templates for spacing new teeth, does anyone know where I might find those templates.
    any other advise for filing the new teeth would be appricated. the saw is to be a cross cut tenon saw. somewhere in the 12 to 14 ppi range.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Use another saw??

Their on Leif's page (norse woodsmith). I can't remember where they are, every time I look for them, I have trouble.

put them over the jointed edge of the saw plate when you do it and either tack them on with an adhesive or pull them tight and clamp the saw vise on them. Then, you can just cut through the mark on the paper with the file, which is very difficult to do on bare metal with the template behind the saw or up the side of the saw. You don't have to start with a dull file that way.

If they don't turn out quite right immediately, just joint them and even them up before you file fleam on them.

Galoototron has a really handy guide you can print out for TPI and fleam:

http://www.galoototron.com/2010/02/2...pening-guides/

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan McCullough View Post
    Galoototron has a really handy guide you can print out for TPI and fleam:

http://www.galoototron.com/2010/02/2...pening-guides/
    Coincidentally, this weekend, I put together a new page on the site to hold and index printable stuff, including that fleam guide and the spacing/pitch guide that I hadn't put up yet. Look for them near the bottom of this page:

http://www.galoototron.com/plans-and-guides/

IF you want to space small teeth,and have any coarse rotary files,I used a coarse one to roll along the blank blade of a dovetail saw I was making in the 70's,long,long before I had any saw making equipment. I rolled it along,tapping it with a brass hammer,not letting it slip out of sync. It made nice,even notches of less than 16 tpi.(can't recall now),but it worked quite well.

That's a good resource Brian. I was just wondering where there might be a Disston #7 handle template somewhere and I see it there.

Another thing that might be handy for marking off teeth would be the correct length of threaded rod in the appropriate thread configuration; I.e., 14 threads per inch = 14 teeth per inch. You could blacken the plate with a candle and "rap" the threaded rod along the tooth line, I'm guessing. There are other ways too if you can rig something up that would advance the file 1/14th (or 1/16th etc) of an inch with every turn.

George, I am never surprised to hear of some fancy/clever or downright cool method you have of doing something. I also like how it seems no matter what someone posts about having to make, you did it and figured out a trick in the 70s to share. When I grow up I want to be just like you.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop