Thread: In Dry Dock. Winded

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

In Dry Dock. Winded

Pulled the newest addition of the fleet into dry dock for restoration.
    I posted on another thread about this Stanley #5 that belonged to my Grandmother's father, then her husband my Grandfather.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14905
    My great grandfather was a carpenter. Mom told of how he could estimate to the nail, the number needed to build a house.
    My grandfather was a jack of all trades and did it well.

A number of the planes in the fleet have been cleaned and lapped but this was going to be a major overhaul. I had a couple offers to do the restoration. I figured this was a right of passage and decided to attempt it myself.

Followed up on a lot of the links bookmarked and also those posted by Creekers John and Leif. Did a quick inventory of supplies and went shopping.
    Beumont's Quality Tools had the replacement Y lever, lateral lever and frog I needed. After and hour and a half of BS, I left armed with tools, parts and confidence to tackle this task.
    Earlier in the week I :
    1. Disassembled the plane (lots of ugly spoog).
    2. Sprayed all metal parts down with Simply Green and let sit for about and hour.
    3. Took the hose to it with a synthetic brush.
    4. Compressed air, heat gun, then bagged it with an ample coating of WD (water displacement) 40.
    5. Tonight I carefully scraped all surfaces with a razor knife. Japaning was long gone.
    6. Lapping sole and sides with 80 &100 paper on the lapping plate.
    7. More to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 12-24-2004 at 12:34 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Tyler,

Looks like ya got your work cut out for ya. They should be almost good as new when you get finished.

A ? is Japaning that black paint on the inside of the sole?

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    That's the stuff! According to my reading it ranges from ordinary black paint to exotic alchemist brews that Neanders whip up in the kitchen
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Any reason why it's called Japaning? Seems to me it'd be called paint. Guess that's to boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    Any reason why it's called Japaning? Seems to me it'd be called paint. Guess that's to boring.
    Jim, here is a link that will tell you about Japanning: http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/r...cles_117.shtml

Tyler, It's looking good so far. Looks like you are on the right track.

John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

nice...

Looking good Tyler.. I know you will feel a special affinity for this plane when it is finished for two reasons.
    First it was your grandfathers' and you will remember him when you use it and
    second, you restored it and will know how to adjust,etc..to make it "play beautiful music" as in "whoosh,whoosh, whoosh." I believe Krenov said ..the plane is the cabinetmaker's Stradavarius.
    Isn't the slide down this slope a pleasant one?
    Danny

Tyler -

There will be two gentlemen smiling down on you and guiding your hands as you restore that plane. When you are finished, I'm sure it will be beautiful and work just the same.

Regards,
    Ted

John,
    It never ceases to amaze me at the wealth of knowledge available on this forum. Truley this is the best ww forum I've come across.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Pulled the newest addition of the fleet into dry dock for restoration.
    I posted on another thread about this Stanley #5 that belonged to my Grandmother's father, then her husband my Grandfather.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14905
    My great grandfather was a carpenter. Mom told of how he could estimate to the nail, the number needed to build a house.
    My grandfather was a jack of all trades and did it well.

A number of the planes in the fleet have been cleaned and lapped but this was going to be a major overhaul. I had a couple offers to do the restoration. I figured this was a right of passage and decided to attempt it myself.
    Sheesh Tyler!

Between you and Bob Smalser, (See post #8 of this thread -- http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15026 ), you guys are going to have me blubbering all over my keyboard pretty soon.

---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

It is alot of work. But given the providence of this special plane, worth all the much more.

I read recently of a gentleman that used "Appliance Paint" foregoing the entire japanning process. I have used Appliance Paint for a cyclone I built and thought that, in black, it would be quite a good substitute for japanning.

Looking forward to the continued work...

Merry Christmas!
    ~Dan