Thread: "Legs" are done,,,

"Legs" are done,,,

Just a follow up to a previous post where I was roughing these in.
    Essentially, they are going to be used as legs for an Island unit. The small brackets will be used as supports for the range hood. They're done in walnut, and the light colored wood on the brackets is basswood. The reason for the different wood is this section alone will be painted to match the cabinetry and the rest will be left in natural wood. Finished of course, but natural walnut color. Two of the large heads have a hidden channel for electrical power for the island unit.
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Woodworking Studio

Incredible work! My wife who is a lifelong elephant collector insists that you post pictures of their final resting place. I’d love to see it too.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    absolutely superb. I look forward to your progress.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

That's intense. I'm in awe!

Amazing

Do you do these in parallel? I'd love to see pictures of the process. Thanks for posting these. This place never ceases to provide something new and interesting.

Nice, very very nice Mark...
    This is something I'm really looking forward to seeing finished.
    One more vote for progress pics.

Thank you gentlemen! Yes, I have been promised finished professionally done photos of the kitchen when it's done. But are they ever done? I'm guessing at this point late Nov. or into Dec. the way this type of project goes.
    The client had a penthouse, bought the adjoining suite and there is much other work going on. So it may take some time.
    As far as "in the process" shots , well, I didn't think it would be all that interesting as gluing up blocks of walnut is just big blocks of walnut. Then hogging them out is just removing waste material. The closest I have is the first thread that I posted when I started these.
    I'm not sure exactly what doing them in parallel means. ( I'm ignorant) All I can say is I carved each one individually, using the first as a "master" to follow. I made the master from following the clay model I made first.
    I have 8 Oak Gargoyles coming up very soon ( I hope) for a mansion in upper Manhattan. Maybe then I can post some in the process shots. I do have a blog where I do post in the process shots of my work, specifically the Shroud of Turin carved in a crucifix as well as some others.But links to these are not permitted. At one time I used to post step by step photos and dialog of my pieces but with the time required to do this, for some very specific pieces I discontinued the practice.
    If you're familiar with my Wisteria desk, as well as some other pieces I posted here you may have seen parts of this process.
    But if there is ever a certain aspect of carving you wish to see, or have questions about , I'd be happy to expand on, or provide photos if you wish.
    I just don't know how applicable seeing elephant heads getting carved would be to most carvers besides the entertainment value. Remember too, I have to do this for a living. It's not a hobby for me.
    But again, if you have a question, or difficulty with some aspect of carving and would like me to give my views or "tutorial" of how I'd do something chances are I've done it, or will do it for an example thread.
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 10-23-2010 at 2:32 AM.
    The Woodworking Studio