Thread: Magnetic Machine Covers (ToolClad)

Magnetic Machine Covers (ToolClad)

I'm sure some of you use the ToolClad magnetic sheets to help protect your cast iron surfaces from rust. I'm curious as to how you like them and if you think they are helping control the rust on your cast iron surfaces. I have looked around the internet and discovered that you can buy magnetic sheets 42" wide by the foot. In total it will be less expensive than buying a ToolClad sheet for each machine I have. But before I ordered the magnetic sheets I wanted to see if folks that have used them think they were worth the effort.

Blog Entries
    I am curious as well and hope someone who is using these will chime in. I would think there would be more than adequate room for water/vapor to get trapped between the tool surface and the magnet. A breathable cover would fare better at allowing evaporation but, it might also allow more moisture in depending on the environment. As stated, I am curious.

I have used one on my table saws for years and never had a rust problem. I bought it from HTC and place it flat against the cast iron surface which means I have to take the fence off. I used it for about five years in an unheated, uninsulated garage, I added a shop and insulation later on and still no sign of rust the last three years or so. I do wax my table top often as a safe guard and do not have any problems. According to the manufacturer it is supposed to "breathe" preventing codinsation. I live in Ohio so we have pretty cold weather 3-4 months out of the year.
    Kevin

I'm not sure what's gained by having a magnetic cover vs. plain old plastic sheeting, or whatever material; it's not like you'll have gusts of wind in your shop.

I don't know what the best method (direct contact or air space) or cover material would be, but I had a leaky shop roof one time and successfully kept rust off my bandsaw table by pulling a large plastic trash bag over the top wheel cover which then draped over and covered the table.

This may be entirely contrary to others' experience, but I had much worse rust on steel surfaces than on cast iron; my jointer table and fence never rusted, but the steel handles on my table saw did, as did the steel column on my drill press, but not the cast drill press table. And this was with no protective coatings or coverings on the cast iron (except for the band saw)

Okay this should sell you on getting the magnetic sheets.

I have a garage shop. I bought one last year and my top has stayed nice even though my dryer vents into the garage.

I keep swearing to do something about it and I promise this year I'm going to.

I made my own out of a roll of magnetic sheeting. I bought it on ebay (way way way cheaper than the premade stuff). The material is marketed as magnetic sign material to stick on the side of cars.

I had major rust problems in my shop until I started using these. That's not to say some other type of cover wouldn't work too though.

I noticed in periods when I didn't have time to go out to the shop for a month or so, rust wouldn't form under my table saw fence, but it would form on all other exposed surfaces. So I don't think a seal is required. Simple fabric covers might work fine.

That said, the magnetic sheets work really well for me.

I found covering my tools in a layer of sawdust, and frequently rubbing with solid wood, do a good job too