Thread: Need child's table and chair plans.

Need child's table and chair plans.

I need to make a simple table and 2 chairs for my going to be two granddaughter for Christmas. Can anyone link me to a plan or ideas?
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood

Hi Roger. An old issue of Woodsmith (#56, April 1988) had a complete "how-to" article. I built the table and chairs as shown for my little 3-year-old daughter then. Now my 4-year-old grandson plays with the same table and chairs. Made of white oak, the set is heirloom quality. PM me with your email if you would like the plans.

Woodsmith Kids Table Chairs.jpg
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Blog Entries
    I have a dimensioned drawing of this set. Please excuse the poor quality photo.

Here's a better one of just the chair.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

This is the ones I have built, I just made my own plans, I have the basic drawings I could send you if you want them.

t-c.jpg

Thanks for the photos and offers from all. What I had in mind was something like what Bill has shown. Bill, your set seems pretty straight forward in design and should be pretty easy to copy. One question about the angle on the back leg of the chairs, what is it?
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood

I am also building a table and chair set fro my daughter. This is a great thread for me too. Somehow I never thought to ask at SMC.

Bill,
    I really like your design and execution. It's very similar to what I had in mind, especially the chairs. I sent you a PM with contact info for the plans.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Bullock View Post
    Thanks for the photos and offers from all. What I had in mind was something like what Bill has shown. Bill, your set seems pretty straight forward in design and should be pretty easy to copy. One question about the angle on the back leg of the chairs, what is it?
    They are really easy to make, nothing really fancy but they work well and the grand daughters lover them.

The back leg and back are at 5 degrees to the seat.

Small Partsl.jpg Left back leg.jpg

Bill,
    thanks for sending the plans along. I'll post some photos when I get something done.
    Gary

Hello Bill,
    Happened to find this on the SMC site and was wondering if you could tell me the width and thickness of the rear legs. I love the chairs and I have been tasked to make a set for a friend. Thank you for your time.
    Kevin

The legs are 1 1/2" to start and then after sanding and finish they are at about 1 3/16"

I can send you what plans I have if you want them, send me an email to wlhuber@att.net

How old are your grand daughters, and what is the planned usage?
    (scaled dining table/chair?, play house? etc.)

We did a home-built lego table (with hardboard cover when used as a table) and paired with one of those cheap kids chairs from (maybe target?).

If you are open to more general-purpose furniture, I really liked Glen Huey's folding stool in the I Can Do That series.

Some other neat ideas (that don't answer your table & chairs question):
    • Jeff Miller had an article in 2007 FWW (Furniture Kids Will Love), that includes a neat rocker, some whimsical furniture, and a sizing chart for tables/chairs by age
    • Judson Beaumont has some absolutely wonderful furniture that will tickle a kid's fancy. (he uses a lot of bending plywood). (He had a 2010 article in FWW on "Playful Furniture" that showed the build process for his curved casework)

Matt
    Last edited by Matthew Hills; 07-21-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Made this a few years ago, put in stretchers between the bench sides after the photos were taken. Craigslist_4.jpg