Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Chet Atkins style guitar.

re: wolf tones

You do get them on acoustics and archtops, but it doesn't sound like the traditional bowed instrument wolf (which is sort of like a warble on a cello, for instance). Instead, you get a "dead" note. Were you to bow the string, you would get more of a wolf because you're constantly exciting it. Also, as George notes, guitars and violins are constructed differently.

I don't tune my guitar tops and backs to any particular frequency. I tap them until they sound and feel "right". Nice resonance. Good, clean note. Good stiffness/flexibility. When it's right, it just feels right. On the other hand, it's very funny that my top and back always seem to come out tuned somewhere around a half-step away from each other. I'm not really sure why. I'm probably just making them roughly equal (since I'm doing it by feel), but I never get it exactly right so I'm always a half step off, or thereabouts. LOL. Who knows.

I'm with you, David. If you listen to a lot of builders, you'll hear a lot of mumbo jumbo and nonsense. It's like talking to a witch doctor. If you listen to the greats, they'll often admit how little is really known about what makes a guitar great, and then they'll explain what's worked for them over the years and why they think it works. Some of the bracing patterns I've seen are so complex as to be a little humorous, but when it's well executed they just don't really sound all that different from more traditional bracing. How do two unrelated instrument designs sound so much alike? I don't think anyone's really figured that out yet. It's actually kind of exciting because there's still many improvements to be made, or at least lots more to understand.

I think George would agree (though he may not) that violins are a little different in that you're maybe trying to hit an ideal rather than make constant improvements. I guess you can think of that as easier because you have something known to shoot for, or it's harder because it's far more obvious when you miss the mark. When a guitar sounds a little off, you KNOW there's someone out there who's going to just fall in love with it and find a way to make it work for them.

Probably the only "improvement" made to violin family instruments are these carbon fiber instruments. I guess they sound o.k.. Some players like them. I could never feel the same about a non wooden guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post

I'll stop there, I'm already branded a redneck for mentioning banjo.
    Ha ha, I don"t suppose those pork chops had anything to do with it? LOL

I own an old Yamaha acoustic, as well as four or five "you can play the guitar!" books, chord charts ect.

I've tried and tried, maybe I should find someone who plays to help me but, if I'd never seen someone play with my own eyes, I'd swear it was impossible!

My hat is off to you guys!
    Happy strumming...

George, this may be the oldest recovery of a thread in SMC history, and I hope I’m not breaking any forum rules, but as a fellow luthier and guitar/mando/fiddle player I really wanted to take this opportunity to say how much I’ve enjoyed this thread and reading all of your interesting comments. Thanks!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post
    George, this may be the oldest recovery of a thread in SMC history, and I hope I’m not breaking any forum rules, but as a fellow luthier and guitar/mando/fiddle player I really wanted to take this opportunity to say how much I’ve enjoyed this thread and reading all of your interesting comments. Thanks!!
    Jon, George hasn't posted in a while. He has done a lot of incredible work.

Here is one feature on him > http://www.cybozone.com/fg/wilson.html

He made one guitar with some amazing silver inlay work.

Check out the guitar he has in this thread > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?202978 < scroll down to post #11.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post
    +1
    Here is a video some may enjoy based on what I've read in this thread
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-zOaOYB120

If you want to see George in action, here he is building a spinet harpsichord and violin at the Anthony Hay workshop in one of the Colonial Williamsburg films. I haven't tried to build a violin, but I know from experience that the spinet is quite challenging to do. It is much harder than it looks, even with modern 'lectrical machinery, mylar plans, and precision measuring tools.

My thanks to George, I watch this (on DVD) when I am psyching myself up to work on mine

Part 1 of 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuUqbdTDjcw

Thanks Jim, Edward and Andrew. Good stuff. Too bad we don’t have a like button.

A great SMC interview with George.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-George-Wilson

When I first signed in here, quite some years ago, I searched all posts by George I could find... An incredible craftsman and capacity in so many fields...
    Hope he is well...

Blog Entries
    I am working on getting this read... The images and links are great!
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-23-2022 at 9:16 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice