Thread: Anything wrong with this design?

Anything wrong with this design?

I got another request for a cargo shelf, so my display table will have to wait. I want to confirm with you all that this plan will work fine before I start work. The request is for a shelf made of walnut with a herringbone inlay in the middle. I hoped to use mesquite for the herringbone, but the lumber supplier does not carry it so I will be using cherry. The shelf is approximately 41"x19". The herringbone inlay will take up a 1'x3' area in the middle. I am thinking of routing out a 1/4" slot in the walnut frame an insert a sheet of 1/4" luan plywood. The cherry will then be chopped to 2"x4" strips and glued to the plywood The bottom side of the plywood wlill be upolstered, possibly with brown leather. I might also use some scrap cherry as splines in the corners.

Can anyone see any problems with this shelf design? Will I have any expansion and contraction issues with the cherry glued to the plywood?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Dan,

I don't understand how it is used or where. It looks fine though. I don't think it is big enough to have any expansion problems. How thick is the Cherry material that lays on the plywood?
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

One of the nifty features of the PT Cruiser is a plastic cargo shelf that can be used to manage the trunk area of the car. One popular modification on this idea is to replace it with a wood shelf. The shelves are usually showed off at car shows and gatherings.

The cherry is 1/4" thick. I found a really nice piece of curly cherry that is 3/8 inch thick so it can be planed to the correct thickness. Another interesting problem came to mind. How do I clamp down the cherry as I glue them in the herringbone pattern?

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dan,

A vacuum bag would work. Or cover the sustaid with glue and lay them up quickly , then placing a second cover piece on top to apply equal pressure.

They can be set in a temp. frame rout 2 or 3 dados ,,shallow ones and "let in" splines...now it is like parquet and one piece ..mount it to the ply with glue.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

That is what I was thinking of doing. I was going to place a sheet of wax paper over the wood and then a sheet of 1/2" mdf followed by a series of very large concrete paver blocks that I am storing outside. that should give it a few hundred pounds worth of even pressue!

Dan