Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much do you use your drum sander?

A lot!

One of my favorite tools is my drum sander in fact the only ones I use more are my saws and planer. More often than not for big glue up's I have to use the drum sander because of it's width capacity. I like the open end feature on my 22-44 and have done table tops up to 36" wide (very carefully). Mine is strictly a hobby shop but a drum sander really made me popular with my other wood working "friends"!
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Blaise View Post
    but a drum sander really made me popular with my other wood working "friends"!
    Hm. Is that a PLUS or a MINUS ?

Hey Neil,
    I have a 22-44 that gets hooked up to the first drop in my DC run, powered by a slightly modified HF 2hp collector. The dust collection at the sander is really good. A small amount of dust will be left on the sander table, but the sandpaper stays clean and I don't notice any visible dust in the air. I think you'll be OK with your setup and that 16-32.

Lee

Awesome.

Thank you, Lee.

I own a 22-44 and use it all the time. But then, I build guitars. Not a lot of practical ways out there to sand wood down to 0.1" or so. But I do use it a lot for other things. So I would say "essential".

BTW, if anybody knows where I can pick up a used "closed base", I am all ears.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    [I'll go look at the 16-32 this afternoon ]
    Bought.

It's really in perfect shape. The pictures DO do it justice.

Very nice guy. His day job is Biotechnical Engineer.

That says it all, about why he "over-engineered" the oak piece, on the open end of the sander, to prevent drum deflection that ... he'd never experienced

We ran a scrap piece of African Mahogany through it. Worked like a charm. P120 was on the drum.

Then we pulled the paper off the drum, so I could use my Pinnacle straight edge, and check for drum irregularities. None detectable.

$600.

So .... I officially call ... gloat

For those interested ... I just noticed that Amazon has the 16-32 on sale for $799.

http://www.amazon.com/629004K-16-Inc.../dp/B00005RW92

I'm still happy with my deal, but ... this looks like a pretty good opportunity for those with interest.

I'm glad it is all you were looking for, and in good shape.
    I think you will find it in use more than you expect.

Thanks again, Will, for your advice.

Just to stay in compliance with the "pics or it didn't happen" rule ....

Stopped at Grainger and ordered a panel mounted 0-25ACA ammeter. I'll wire it in, and use that great idea: figure out the breaker-tripping load point, and stay just shy of it.

Plus ... I'm sort of a numbers guy. Anything I can do to marry some sort of meter to this thing ....

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    My guess is ... that I'll pick a grit and leave it on, too.

Heck. I wish I didn't have to switch out the WWII for the dado stack, as often as I do

ON these units, is ANY competent DC (say 1-1/2 HP or better) pulling enough air to keep these drum sanders from changing the shop micro-climate ?

It sure seems like even the WORST of machines needs <= about 1,000CFM, and that my HF DC -- stock (before Wynn 35a cartridge filter) is _supposed_ to pull 1,550CFM.

In peoples' experience, though, IS this adequate, or ... have some found it necessary to install a SECOND 4" dust port in their DS ?

[I'll go look at the 16-32 this afternoon ]
    Don't know the cfm, but I have a 2 hp Jet paired with an ebay cyclone, 6 inch main runs and 4 inch (about 4 feet) to the sander. Just spent the last 2 hours sanding 17 inch wide big leaf maple. Dust collection appears to be great as I don't seem to be getting any dust out in the air.

Blog Entries
    Nice pick up Neil.

You suck.

PHM

Tim, I had mine for a couple years and only used it sporadically...so I sold it to another 'Creeker who got more regular use out of it. I just couldn't justify the space hit for keeping it around given it wasn't benefiting the kind of work I tend to do. It was a fine machine, but sometimes you have to move on when it's not being used.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...