Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first engravings, and a question

My first engravings, and a question

Ok, so I found some dragon clipart and just want to make sure I understood the basic operation. I tested 3 speed & power settings, but since I was using scrap wood, I'm sure my results aren't totally reliable. But I was happy to finally laser something.

Feeling confident, I went ahead and tried out a 2nd project. I noticed, however, that there is some grid lines that appeared - is there any way to get rid of them? I tried using tweezers to scrape the engraved area with some success, but I accidentally knicked off a piece of lettering (see the "h" in "whatever" on the left side).

Higher DPI perhaps? Maybe the wood I'm using isn't meant for engraving per say... maybe it needs a mask and paint...

Yes I'm a NEWB!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike vonBuelow; 10-17-2010 at 6:20 PM.

Hi Mike,

This thread has been discussing the same thing: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=149883

There are several suggestions offered for fixing it, maybe one will work for you? Let us know if you solve the problem, we'd all like to know!

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Mike,
    It would be very helpful to you and the forum if you would post the type of equipment you are using. It's difficult to give a good answer if we don't know what kind of laser it is, wattage etc. Edit your signature to include that info.
    The wood you have engraved in these photos looks like unfinished pine. If it is, pine is not a real good wood for engraving. Maple, alder, walnut etc, preferably with a finish on it works well.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Signature not showing up for whatever reason...

Pinnacle 25W Mercury.... IIRC, I was at 90% speed and 100% power
    Corel
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

Those darn 25 watt Mercurys. Rotate your stock 90degrees so that the grain lines are with the travel of the laser head. When crossing against the grain, you will get the little square pattern. So yeah, you will need to rotate a LOT of your work.

GCC Laser Pro Mercury L25

Looks like a grain issue to me. In between the hard pieces the softer stuff will crumble. That said, even with acrylic you will get the crosshatching look and you need to have me dots per inch, where they overlap a little to even out the look.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by James Terry View Post
    Those darn 25 watt Mercurys. Rotate your stock 90degrees so that the grain lines are with the travel of the laser head. When crossing against the grain, you will get the little square pattern. So yeah, you will need to rotate a LOT of your work.
    This makes sense in my head, but I have a similar machine and it still
    does this on plastics, which don't have any grain. (not trying to hijack
    the thread, just mentioning it because it might still be another issue)

I was able to change mine (somewhat) but not get rid of it. I pulled apart
    the head assembly and cleaned everything again (don't use acetone on the
    clear plastic spacers! ) and realized that there the screw behind the
    mirror wasn't actually touching it.. it wasn't long enough. Perhaps it was
    a replacement screw? I put a spacer behind the mirror to tighten it up.
    The cross hatching changed but didn't go away. I also don't know which
    item changed it.

Thanks all - 2nd attempt tonight.
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

LaserPro 50W Explorer

Ridging is a fact of life with all lasers when hogging out large areas..never been able to get a nice clean surface myself. the deeper you go , the worse it gets - especially with plastics
    Even my CnC router and my engravers leaves "milling marks"
    You can minimise ridging by using a polishing pass or trying to either raise or lower DPI , using a shade of grey rather than a solid black when engraving , making sure all Y axis components and belts etc are to spec , using a lot of air assist , using a mask and sandblasting after, taping material down so its epansion and movement is minimal , trying various PPI values , using less speed , rotating with the grain , lasering slightly out of focus and so on. Real bad when doing masters cos even something as negligable as a fingerprint can be transferred to the mould. Often the best strategy is using a postscript or patterned fill instead of solid and making it a "feature" rather than a bug.
    The pattern on your circular engraving looks more like a halftone effect or moire than just plain ridging.
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 10-18-2010 at 11:34 AM.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Mike - what kind of file are you sending to the laser for the project in the right photo? Is it a vector file with color fills, a vector file with black fills, a grayscale bitmap or b/w bitmap? Finally, are you using Black & White Mode or Manual Color Fill mode in the driver?

Richard, et al.,

Here's the screenshots of my settings (using Adobe AI 10 this time) along with a screenshot of the file I was trying to print. I used the trace tool in greyscale using 16 colors.
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

LaserPro 50W Explorer

In addition to the screenshots above, I re-oriented my wood with no luck - although it may be a tad less pronounced.

Here's some screenshots:
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

LaserPro 50W Explorer

and one more of the main landing gear closeup
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

LaserPro 50W Explorer

Blog Entries
    That is some of the worst dithering I have ever seen this side of a 20 cent newspaper print. You have issues with settings... fix those, and I have a feeling a lot of your ridge issues will magically disappear.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

...and another question that comes to mind - would inverting the image help ?

I concur it's a settings issue. I guess I'm going to spend the $100 for the 30-day tech support from SW.
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

LaserPro 50W Explorer