Thread: Shop gloat video

Shop gloat video

I made a video of my shop tonight. It's the first time I've used a video camera. I bought a real cheap one to try, and I think I like using it enough to get something a little better someday.

My shop is very clean at the moment, so this was a good time to take pictures and do the video. I've been working at upgrading tools and the shop in general over the last few months.

I'm getting more serious about building custom high-end speakers, which is why the investment in better tools.

Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcyA0K2Df3I

Greg

Yep, you suck. Particularly the Felder snag. But I still lust after your horns more than anything else in your shop!

So much to say....

1. "If you weren't married, you think you'd live there ? For most of us ... our marriage is the primary reason that we'd LIKE to live there
    2. When you got to the Felder, you admitted that you suck, but ... do you truly know the extent to which you suck ?
    3. You're sitting on a heap of Klipsch speakers ? Oooh. Old fan, from way back. Started in Audiophiles Anonymous -- for financial reasons -- back in about '83. Stopped with what I had, then: Denon components pushing a couple of Matt Polk's babies. Still so sweet, after all these years.
    4. Did I get this right ? Is it a 928 ? Is it an S ? S4? The car the editors loved to hate because it was "so perfect that it was boring " And they could be had for a relative song !
    5. With not a touch of resentment, but maybe a touch of envy, you obviously have some resources with which to execute this, and ... may I say ... I think you did it verrrrry nicely. Great tool choice, and great space to work with !
    6. So ... tell me about the speakers you're looking to build. What species-specific characteristics do you have to consider when building enclosures with wood. I've never really thought about the relative acoustical properties of the various kinds of wood, but ... I'm betting you have !
    7. Is the shed insulated, since ... you probably have ready access to some fairly efficient baffling or sound dampening materials ?
    8. Is your intended speaker work more 'production' or 'custom' oriented ?

Just a great shop, and a great tour.

Can't remember the last time I watched ALL of a 13 minute YouTube vid

Cheers !
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-18-2010 at 8:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    1. "If you weren't married, you think you'd live there ? For most of us ... our marriage is the primary reason that we'd LIKE to live there
    2. When you got to the Felder, you admitted that you suck, but ... do you truly know the extent to which you suck ?
    3. You're sitting on a heap of Klipsch speakers ? Oooh. Old fan, from way back. Started in Audiophiles Anonymous -- for financial reasons -- back in about '83. Stopped with what I had, then: Denon components pushing a couple of Matt Polk's babies. Still so sweet, after all these years.
    4. Did I get this right ? Is it a 928 ? Is it an S ? S4? The car the editors loved to hate because it was "so perfect that it was boring " And they could be had for a relative song !
    5. With not a touch of resentment, but maybe a touch of envy, you obviously have some resources with which to execute this, and ... may I say ... I think you did it verrrrry nicely. Great tool choice, and great space to work with !
    6. So ... tell me about the speakers you're looking to build. What species-specific characteristics do you have to consider when building enclosures with wood. I've never really thought about the relative acoustical properties of the various kinds of wood, but ... I'm betting you have !
    7. Is the shed insulated, since ... you probably have ready access to some fairly efficient baffling or sound dampening materials ?
    8. Is your intended speaker work more 'production' or 'custom' oriented ?
    Just a great shop, and a great tour.

Can't remember the last time I watched ALL of a 13 minute YouTube vid

Cheers !
    1. LOL
    2. No
    4. 93 928GTS auto, 54k miles, more a piece of art to me than a car I like to drive, believe it or not.
    6. Material of choice is Baltic Birch plywood. I'm not one of those guys who talks about the choice of hardwood and how that relates to sonic quality. But I'm also not above going along with the suggestion that exotic woods might make a sonic difference! I like to build and sell speakers, and audiophiles are a strange bunch (I know because I'm one), so you have to go with the flow in this business. Take too hard a stand on anything in this business and you'll find yourself below the niche, wondering why you're not selling anything.
    7. Yes, polystyrene foam board.
    8. Definately custom.

Greg
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-18-2010 at 8:17 AM.

Nice!

Nice! Thanks for sharing the video. No Festool in sight....how is that possible? Not even a domino for building those speaker cabinets?

Would be nice to work in a shop like that!

What a wonderful shop. It has to be nice to have sooooo much available space. Most of us are crammed into a space, even the larger shops... although... I think we all probably fill whaever space we have... and then some.

Just curious? you have such a nice 6" (looks like) duct system... Why wouldn't you run it all the way to the scms instead of switching to 4"?

Congrats again...

Blog Entries
    Super nice shop Greg.

Good of you to take the time to do the video and share it with us.

PHM

Killer shop!

Love the "shop stereo".
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Greg, you have a killer shop, I'd love to have that much room!! Thanks for the tour, next time please turn on the "shop stereo" so we can have a listen.

Nice. I still think the leather recliners are the best part. good for my 2 o' clock nap!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Archambeau View Post
    Nice! Thanks for sharing the video. No Festool in sight....how is that possible? Not even a domino for building those speaker cabinets?

Would be nice to work in a shop like that!
    Nope, no Festool yet. What is a domino for building cabinets?

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Ousterhout View Post
    What a wonderful shop. It has to be nice to have sooooo much available space. Most of us are crammed into a space, even the larger shops... although... I think we all probably fill whaever space we have... and then some.

Just curious? you have such a nice 6" (looks like) duct system... Why wouldn't you run it all the way to the scms instead of switching to 4"?

Congrats again...
    The 6" trunk line ran by the SCMS and ends at the TS. I used 4" branches for all the tools.

Thank you everyone for the compliments. I think it would be nice to have a section of the forum for shop videos. Or just videos. Actually, we could use YouTube, but have links in a special place here at the forum. I'd like to see other shop videos.

Greg

If you like Felder and Laguna then you'll like Festool. Though I must warn you that festool will deplete extra money you have on tools that take up hardly any space. heh

A domino is like a beefy biscuit joiner that makes mini floating tenons.

Love the felder you got there. If I ever get room for ones of those and perhaps 3PH power then I can pick one up from CL as well. Just last week I saw the flagship felder panel saw on my local CL for $9500 OBO. This was around 50% off. The guy also was selling a brand new felder work bench for $500. I almost pulled the trigger on this, but decided that I should make mine.

Festool Domino

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roberts View Post
    Nope, no Festool yet. What is a domino for building cabinets?

Greg
    Greg;

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/d...em-574307.html

The link takes you to the festool site. The domino would make it easy for you to join sheet goods when you are assembling a speaker cabinet.

Very precise, strong, and easy to use. As Chris said Festool is pricey. But you are paying for quality German engineering and innovation.

You can get the domino jointer and a case of dominos (premade tennons)
    for about $1100. Add a dust collector CT26 for about $500 and you can work dust free.

I have purchased Festool from Beaver Tools: http://beavertools.com/

Free shipping and no sales tax.

Also worth considering is the Oneida Super Dust Deputy to use with the Festool vac. http://store.oneida-air.com/dust-deputy-festool.aspx

OK i will stop here trying to help you spend your money.

Enjoy that beautiful shop!
    Last edited by Mike Archambeau; 10-21-2010 at 6:54 PM. Reason: spelling