Thread: #6 wire, what size subpanel?

#6 wire, what size subpanel?

I'm in need of a subpanel, I have a 15' run of #6 wire ran to my shop
    (1 red, 1 black, 1 white ) . The breaker is a 50 amp currently in the panel. What size subpanel can I run off of the #6 wire? I mainly need it for 2 more 220 circuits in my shop, 1 20 amp, and 1 30 amp.

60 Amps. Every ampacity chart I've seen for 6AWG gives 60A, but that assumes you're not packing the wire in conduit usually.

Normal House Wiring Gauge
    Consult your building inspector
    because your location
    will have a specific building code! Circuit
    Maximum
    Amperage Minimum COPPER
    amps wire gage
    15A 14AWG
    20A 12AWG
    30A 10AWG
    45A 8AWG
    60A 6AWG
    80A 4AWG
    100A 2AWG
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Blog Entries
    Jeff,
    For the sub-panel to be legal, you will also need a ground wire to it.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    Jeff,
    For the sub-panel to be legal, you will also need a ground wire to it.
    Yes, you need two hots, a neutral, and a ground. Also, do NOT bind the neutral and ground together, they hook to separate busses. Neutral and ground don't meet up until the main panel.

I learned this from the Wood Nerd's site, he has a very good page on electrical wiring: http://www.thewoodnerd.com/articles/circuitSizing.html
    Last edited by Gerald Senburn; 10-16-2010 at 7:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    60 Amps. Every ampacity chart I've seen for 6AWG gives 60A, but that assumes you're not packing the wire in conduit usually.

Normal House Wiring Gauge
    Consult your building inspector
    because your location
    will have a specific building code! Circuit
    Maximum
    Amperage Minimum COPPER
    amps wire gage
    15A 14AWG
    20A 12AWG
    30A 10AWG
    45A 8AWG
    60A 6AWG
    80A 4AWG

100A 2AWG
    The allowable ampacity is dependent on the insulation type & one does not get to size conductor based on the 90 degree C column & NM cable "Romex" is sized per the 60 degree column, and if on the 2008 NEC SER cable is also sized in the 60 column. The ampacities listed in bold above came from the 90 degree column which is incorrect.

Your ground will only have to be a #10 THHN. Remember that 60 amps at 220 actually gives your 120 amps at 120. My shop has a 60 amp sub in it. I have the usual suspects, DC, air comp (220). table saw, radial arm saw, drill press, stick welder, MIG welder, planer, band saw, along with lights and hand power tools. Never a problem with lack of current in 30 years.