Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chippendale Chest of Drawers with Pics

Chippendale Chest of Drawers with Pics

Hey guys, I’ve been pretty busy lately and haven’t had a chance to post anything so I figured I would throw a few pictures of this piece I just finished up. It is based on a Philadelphia design Chippendale chest with a few modifications (the feet being the biggest change). Although it isn’t apparent in the photos this thing is a beast. It is 43” wide and 39” tall. I have it setting beside a Newport slant front desk and a Newport block front chest I am waiting to deliver and it just makes both of them look small.

The primary wood for this piece is Honduran mahogany with Honduran crotch mahogany for the drawer fronts. I used white pine for the secondary wood. I would have normally used poplar as the secondary wood for a Philadelphia piece but the pine was a customer request. All the drawer fronts for the chest came out of a single 5” thick mahogany crotch. The top is also a book matched piece of figured mahogany. I really love working with mahogany but don’t get a whole lot of requests for it but as they say when it rains it pours. I have built three mahogany pieces in the last 6 weeks and had a chance to fall in love with it all over again. It is just such a joy to work with hand tools.

For this piece the finish is natural with the exception of a little blending of some lighter areas. The mahogany I was using was very old and dark so the natural finish turned out great. I was really afraid if I went dark with it the figure on the drawers would just have been lost. The finish is a tung oil and varnish blend followed by shellac and buffed out with 0000 steel wool.

Hopefully I will be able to get some pictures of some of the other pieces I have finished up in the last few months in the next few days.

Bookmatched figured top

lots of hand cut dovetails

Diamanwoodcrafters

cool

those drawer fronts are stunning. Great job
    CW Miller
    Whispering Wood Creations

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

Another beautiful piece Dave. The drawer fronts are stunning. And you got to love that book matched top... Thanks for the look see.

That's another beautiful and beautifully crafted piece, Dave.

Educate me a bit. What particular features about that piece make it "Chippendale?" Is it the fluted corner posts, the coved, bracket feet, the spectacular wood, the Philadelphia roots, all of the above?

I've been studying period furniture (through books) but still get confused regarding the different styles and features.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Very inspiring as usual David, its a treat to see your work. The drawer fronts are great.

David, I'm assuming the drawer fronts are solid? Is crotch wood stable enough to use alone without the worry about it checking or splitting.

Several things on this piece jump out as Chippendale. The fluted columns are one, the scrolled feet are another and the original this was based on was built in the 1750-1780 time frame. The construction on this piece is also somewhat different than what you would see in most Queen Anne pieces but that is something you would really need to inspect the piece to see.

Jeff, actually the drawer fronts are not solid. I laminated a 5/16” thick piece of the crotch to the front of standard mahogany. I chose that thickness because that is where the rabbet around the drawers stop so no glue line can be seen. It’s not visible after the finish is on but I had to stabilize some cracking in the crotch with epoxy. I did that by applying epoxy to the front of the 5/16” thick pieces and using a vacuum to suck the epoxy all the way through the crack. After that I threw some blue painters tape on the back of the crack and piled some more epoxy on and let it settle in the cracks. I used a 24hr cure epoxy so it was nice and thin and filled the cracks really well. After the finish is on I know they are there and I can’t even find the areas I stabilized.
    Diamanwoodcrafters

Gorgeous as always Dave. Really love your work.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Fantastic piece.

MK

That's another beautiful piece, Dave. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
    Steve

Blog Entries
    I always enjoy your pieces Dave. Thanks for sharing them. Cool idea on the drawer fronts. Gets you more use out of some beautiful crotch and the technique vanishes on the finished product. So cool.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Palos Hills, IL (southwestern suburb of Chicago)
    It's alright . . . you know . . . if you go for that classic, skilled, clean, beautiful wood, great finish, stunning look. Not me, I like my crap better! And another thing, you take that picture at night, you know without all of that glaring sun to pick up the "perceived" beauty of the wood grain, and it wouldn't look near as good. Just sayin' . . . you had help from God that day.
    Last edited by Randall Clark; 10-14-2010 at 12:26 AM.

Gorgeous work Dave. You create some beautiful pieces

Blog Entries
    WOW!!! absolutely stunning.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Simply beautiful!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....