Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What tools to take?

Hi John,

I was in Paraguay for about 2 years with the Peace Corps. I took way too much stuff. With the restrictions from the airlines now it would be much harder.

I wish the WW bug had bitten me earlier. There was a Wheelwrigh in the little town my counterpart was in.

You will be amazed at what can be done with a chainsaw. The corner post and 2x4s for my house were cut out freehand by a man with little more than a chaulk line and a Sthil.

As mentioned don't take anything that will really bother you if it is stolen. Also the customs office is to be avoided if possible, especially with less than stellar language skills, you RICH AMERICAN YOU!

I like the LV block plane with totes ides and the folding japaneese saws. I think you may be suprised at what you can buy when you get there. I would probably go scary sharp for sharpening, but take at least one stone with you.

I also like the idea of the make your own tool books. Local craftsmen are very resoursceful and if you can shows them an idea they can probably make it.

I would love to hear more details, what you plan on doing, organization, etc.

If I can find them I will scan and post pics of my house.

Good luck in your quest if I don't get to talk with you again.

Here is a site that has a lot of interesting apropriate technology books. http://www.lindsaybks.com/
    Last edited by Charles McKinley; 10-21-2010 at 12:47 AM. Reason: add emotioncon
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

reviving the thread

I started this thread almost a year ago. I have more details and questions now so I am attempting to revive the thread. In the insanity of old age, 67, I have volunteered, with my wife, for the peace corps. We are stationed in south africa in a rural village about 1 1/2 hour drive from Polokwane in Limpopo province. There is a local equivalent of a home depot where the clerks don't know what a hand plane is although they do have power tools, Ryobi. The only tool I brought w me are a swiss army knife and a leatherman. I can get chisels @ the store. Our living quarters are two rooms, kitchen and bedroom. Some of the drawers in the cabinets in the kitchen are missing a rail so I have some woodworking to do! Is there anyone here who is knowledgeable of South Africa and might advise me on tools?My net access is on aa blackberry with thumb keyboard. Corrections are not always easy and it takes loner to type.

Blog Entries
    You may want to start searching for second hand stores.

Ask the locals. South Africa may be one of the places where poverty did not bring tools into the area.

Is shipping from the U.S., England or Australia out of the question?

I recall this thread and thought you would be taking tools with you.

A few saws and a few planes should get you set up well.

If there are any material suppliers for metals, you could possibly make your own tools and work with any locals who are interested to do the same.

Make a few saws and then some Krenov type planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

4. I do not know the area where you find yourself, but getting handtools here in S.A. is difficult.

I have had good service with this firm in Johannesburg (they are also in Cape Town.)

http://www.hardwarecentre.co.za/web/

They stock Lee Valley/Veritas tools.

Not cheap, but they are the only source as far as I know.

Good luck..!

Hello John,

If you will stay in Ukraine, you will be able to find a lot of good old tools on the local fleamarkets. Also there are enough wooodworkers with great reputation and well known too. For example this man who was born with a plane in a hand http://www.woodenstudio.com/

So, if you will come here in Ukraine, don't worry, all be OK.

Regards,
    Georg.

I would take a ryoba instead of a dovetail saw. The foldable japanese saws are a good suggestion.

I would also suggest a micrometer. With it you can make straight edges, squares, and do dimension checks. It can be pressed into service as a marking gauge too but it would be more practical to make your own marking gauges.

I would take a two sided water stone, 1000/6000 ~ 8000 in my luggage.

I recommend you print out Jim Cummings cam clamps article and take it with you. http://books.google.com/books?id=pPYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA32&lpg=PA32&dq=Jim+Cumm ings+%2Bclamps&source=bl&ots=NbvJEhsXPn&sig=7jt6fD tw6Yk0-93U-BN4iTt30ik&hl=en&ei=uWd3ToqNDs2Ctgf53K20DA&sa=X&oi =book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAQ#v= onepage&q&f=false

Last edited by Terry Beadle; 09-19-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Congratulations on your appointment. My best overseas experiences were also in the Peace Corps.

Reread my original response. It still applies.

Knowing what I know now I would recommend hiring a local carpenter to fix your cabinets or build you a simple stool, just for the chance to get to know him and have opportunities to practice the local language. He would also know where to buy inexpensive tools. Most locals would love to interact with a visitor from overseas, especially a "respected elder" like yourself.

Relax and enjoy your time upcountry. I understand that's a beautiful part of Africa.