Thread: Spindle Sander

Spindle Sander

If you were to purchase a floor model oscillating spindle sander, which one would you buy and why?

Grizzly G1071. Great Value $695.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Osci...e-Sander/G1071

C

/End Thread....

Seriously though, the State is a "legend" when it comes to spindle sanders. Another option would be a Max. There is no way I would pay $695 for a Grizzly when a used State can be had for couple hundred more (if not the same price), just make sure the machine comes with spindles though. The Ridgid I have cowering in the background will soon be for sale...

I paid $300 for mine, but that was probably the deal of a lifetime, it has 13 spindles which I believe is more than a complete set....

+1
    State all the way!
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

+1. It's been in my amazon wish list for ages...

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Olver View Post

A State or Max would be great if you can find one. I haven't seen one resonably local in a quite a while.

If I were buying new it would be the Jet IF it goes on sale while I was looking, it is very well built and without taking them apart strikes me as better built than the Grizzly plus you get a warranty 5 times as long. The Grizzly is about $820-830 liftgate shipped and hopefully between now and the end of the year you can get the Jet for $850 give or take shipped. The next price point up in new would be the Oliver for me. The Oliver is about $1300 shipped and has a large table, 2hp and just looks sweet but I must say for me above $900 the point of diminishing returns has been hit.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I did some browsing, and withing 1000 mile of me, there is one State machine on CL for $995 (It's in NC near Chattanooga id anyone is looking for one) . I'll admit it's a pretty cool looking machine and I'll take your word that it's a great working sander, but what makes a $1000 used State that much better than a $750 new Grizzly?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    I did some browsing, and withing 1000 mile of me, there is one State machine on CL for $995 (It's in NC near Chattanooga id anyone is looking for one) . I'll admit it's a pretty cool looking machine and I'll take your word that it's a great working sander, but what makes a $1000 used State that much better than a $750 new Grizzly?
    I've used both in the same shop. And a Max in a different situation. The extra $250 will get you a much smoother operating machine, ruggedness and longevity. It's like the difference between a Caddy and a Bentley.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

I am sure the State and Max are great sanders but depending on where you live and how many years you want to look for one, you may never get one. I have never seen one on my CL in the 10 years I lived here. IF you do find one at a reasonable price, it will need a rehab and parts. OWWM is not for everybody. I bought the Grizzly about 2 months ago and am happy with it. I woluld look at Jet, Grizzly, Shop Fox, Steel City, etc and see what the best deal you can get. I have a piece or two from each manufacturer and the quality is the same.