Thread: Jig for holding small parts for routing

Blog Entries

Jig for holding small parts for routing

I searched the Creek and the rest of the web looking for ways to hold small parts when routing and didn't find anything that anyone thought would work. So here is what I came up with:
    2010.10.10 Clamping fixture 3-2.jpg
    2010.10.10 Clamping fixture 2.jpg
    2010.10.10 Clamping fixture.jpg

I made this from a piece of BB and some clamps I got from MSC. They are available from lots of sources and are not very expensive. I paid about $7 each for these. They have 200# holding force. I drilled the holes so I could move them around for different sized and shaped pieces and added the sandpaper for a little more grip. The clamps are available in different clearances so different clamps can be used but I made a spacer block to raise mine up for thicker parts. I used it on some small parts (the pattern is under the clamp in one photo) and it worked well.

Nice job! Either Woodsmith, or ShopNotes recently did a small part routing jig.

Blog Entries
    After I bought my bandsaw I also got Duginski's book and have been reading it at night. A night or two after i posted this jig idea, I got to the section on templates and saw his jig for bandsawing and routing parts. I honestly did not steal his idea but I feel like a big goof now since a lot of folks here have his book and have seen his jig. Granted, his is part specific and hopefully mine is flexible enough to use on multiple parts but it really looks a lot like his. Anyway, I thought it was a good idea and since Duginski thought of it first, maybe it is.

If you're looking for a jig for holding small parts while routing...I have used this RGT Holder on several occasions with reasonable success. It says: "Safety and precision for routers and other shaping tools!" That's their claim, not mine. On the paperwork it says it's Mfg. by LO-MO-R tool. INC. 206-782-2252.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Simple and functional... Nice job!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    If you're looking for a jig for holding small parts while routing...I have used this RGT Holder on several occasions with reasonable success. It says: "Safety and precision for routers and other shaping tools!" That's their claim, not mine. On the paperwork it says it's Mfg. by LO-MO-R tool. INC. 206-782-2252.
    I saw a similar jig in my search and the reviews on it were less than stellar. Not enough holding force, wouldn't work on odd shaped parts. I didn't find this particular one, though. The parts I was making are odd shaped legs about 2 1/2" long and angled so I needed something to hold from the top rather than the ends. You can see the pattern under the clamp in the last picture.

Just one thing to add. I always have a roll of turners tape (thin, double sided tape) around for some stuff as well, and it works marvelously when this sort of clamp is inconvenient.

I don't know if I spend more time working, making jigs or taping stuff down

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Just one thing to add. I always have a roll of turners tape (thin, double sided tape) around for some stuff as well, and it works marvelously when this sort of clamp is inconvenient.

I don't know if I spend more time working, making jigs or taping stuff down
    I am using both on this one. Taped the pattern to the part and clamped both to the jig. I had to do it that way because I needed to reposition for several cuts due to the shape and that's the only way I knew to keep the pattern in the same place every time I moved it.

I love double sided tape.

RGT Handler Router and Shaping Tool Jig

Don,

Do you have the instruction for the RGT Handler Router and Shaping Tool Jig ?
    Thanks
    Paul

Paul, I had up until recently a RGT tool but it was lost in a move. I purchased the tool new and it never came with instructions. I am working on some small parts and really would like to have this tool again to work with. Is there a chance that you might be interested in selling your tool to me?
    Thanks, Kyle

MLCS has a small parts holding jig that is fairly inexpensive -- I've used it on a few projects.

Hi Paul, I really want to purchase an RGT...do you think you can help me locate one?

Those hold down clamps work well but if you use different thicknesses they get to be a pain. Bessey makes one that will automatically adjust for a wide range of thickness and maintain the same clamping pressure. I know that Rockler sells them and I'm sure that anyone selling Bessey will carry them.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Is there anyone following this blog that might be able to help me locate an RGT Handler. It is a working jig that holds small material and I have a strong attachment to this tool..certainly willing to pay a fair price for one...

thanks, Kyle