Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General 50-220C Table Saw

General 50-220C Table Saw

I've been looking at the General 50-220C table saw as a more "garage-and-wallet-friendly" version of a cabint saw. Does anyone have any experience with this saw?

Just found the group today and became a member.

Thanks!

Dave

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Welcome Dave. Glad to have you in the creek. We have some General fans here so hold on a minute, somebodies got an answer.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

In the creek....

Thanks, Tyler, it's good to be "in the creek." Guess I'm looking for that proverbial paddle!

The Jet and DeWalt hybrids didn't seem quite right. I stumbled onto the General saw which seems to fit my needs and budget.

Dave

Welcome aboard!

Maybe this is what is sparking your question, but if you haven't yet seen it, the February issue of Workbench mag (got mine yesterday) did a review of "hybrids" which, I think, includes the General that you are asking about (I don't remember the exact model number). Anyway, their bottom line was that they really liked the new Craftsman (top of the line one, I think) and the General (with the Bies. fence option, +$100). Anyway, if you haven't seen it yet it is pretty good as far as magazine reviews go. It is giving me something to think about too.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Dave, afraid I'm not familiar with the particular General you're looking at but, I am a bit familiar with SMC and would like to jump in with another "Welcome aboard!". To echo what TJ said, we have a number of General fans out here and I'm sure someone will jump in and offer his/her opinion and/or guidance. In the meantime, search around the Creek a bit and I'm sure you'll come up with a LOT of discussion regarding the selection of table saws...and miter saws, band saws, routers, planes, jointers, planers, chisels, glue, wood, drill press and on and on and on...! Come often, stay long and, as always, any "gloats" or projects *require* pictures!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stuewe
    Welcome aboard!

Maybe this is what is sparking your question, but if you haven't yet seen it, the February issue of Workbench mag (got mine yesterday) did a review of "hybrids" which, I think, includes the General that you are asking about (I don't remember the exact model number). Anyway, their bottom line was that they really liked the new Craftsman (top of the line one, I think) and the General (with the Bies. fence option, +$100). Anyway, if you haven't seen it yet it is pretty good as far as magazine reviews go. It is giving me something to think about too.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
    Thanks for the reply Dan. I live in Irvine and like to hear from the neighbors!

I've seen pictures of the Crafstman, and it looks nice, but they have a way to go to rebuild that name. Will look for that issue of Workbench. General was less than $900 with the Biesemeyer.

Dave

Hey Dave welcome to SMC...I am a General fan, (have a 350 cabinet saw on the way with other General equip as well), but am not familiar with the model you are looking at. General table saws typically get pretty high marks in the magazines and forums. The one thing I found is the General (Canada) equipment does not get too much press in the mags, where the General Intl (Asian) tools get more press. As stated by Dan there is a review of this saw in the latest Workbench magazine, take a look. Let us know what you decide

Jim

Arrow Addendum to Original post

Meant to include this in the original post: What about 50" vs. 30" rails? Space is at a premium (garage shop), but with a mobile base I ought to be able to stash it against the wall. How much of a compromise is it to split large panels before coming to the saw with them?

Dave

Dave

You can use a circular saw to rip or cross cut plywood close to size & then usa a shop built panel sled to square it up on the table-saw.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I was planning on taking a ride next week (after the holiday) to compare the 220 to the 260, neither of which I've seen as yet. If you want I can drop you a note then and let you know how they look, not that I'll have any experience on them.

Welcome to Saw Mill Creek Dave!

This appears to be a new model, so there might not be any folks here who have one. You can be the Guinea Pig

Here is a link to the (sparse) entry for the saw on the General web site: http://www.general.ca/product/inter/50220an.html
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 12-21-2004 at 5:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Johnson2
    I was planning on taking a ride next week (after the holiday) to compare the 220 to the 260, neither of which I've seen as yet. If you want I can drop you a note then and let you know how they look, not that I'll have any experience on them.
    Sure! Let me know what you think.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Welcome to Saw Mill Creek Dave!

This appears to be a new model, so there might not be any folks here who have one. You can be the Guinea Pig

Here is a link to the (sparse) entry for the sdaw on the General web site: http://www.general.ca/product/inter/50220an.html
    Frank,

Yes, it is a new model. They've been at some of the shows, but I am waiting for a delivery late this month or early next month to see one here in So. Californina. Although I must admit, a trip to Canada sounds great. Would love to see Toronto.

Dave

Smile

Hi Dave and welcome! I don't bleed green, but I have alot of respect for General's machines and many of GI's. My experience with GI has been great with their contractor saw. I haven't seen a 50-220 in person....it appears to be alot like their earlier hybrid the 50-200 (Jet had a nearly identical one a few years back). The 50-200 was a little steep for me, but I got a good look at it a couple of years ago....nicely made. I'm not sure what the differences are between the 200 and the 220. I'm pretty sure it's got the oversized contractor style trunnions mounted from the table, and I know it comes in three versions...one with an aluminum dual locking fence (50-220 M1) , one with the General made Biese (50-220C M1), and then one with a 50" Biese (50-220C LM1). I'm both surprised and disappointed that they'd even put that lesser fence on one of their saws....diluting the family lineage and all! (LOL) The one in the review had that funky fence...

I agree with you about the DW and Jet....my complaints with them were the fences at the price point, but the 50-220C M1 offers what IMO is a better alternative. I do like the looks of the new Sears 22124, but it is hard to overlook that tarnished image. Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 12-21-2004 at 8:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer
    Hi Dave and welcome! I don't bleed green, but I have alot of respect for General's machines and many of GI's. My experience with GI has been great with their contractor saw. I haven't seen a 50-220 in person....it appears to be alot like their earlier hybrid the 50-200 (Jet had a nearly identical one a few years back). The 50-200 was a little steep for me, but I got a good look at it a couple of years ago....nicely made. I'm not sure what the differences are between the 200 and the 220. I'm pretty sure it's got the oversized contractor style trunnions mounted from the table, and I know it comes in three versions...one with an aluminum dual locking fence (50-220 M1) , one with the General made Biese (50-220C M1), and then one with a 50" Biese (50-220C LM1). I'm both surprised and disappointed that they'd even put that lesser fence on one of their saws....diluting the family lineage and all! (LOL) The one in the review had that funky fence...

I agree with you about the DW and Jet....my complaints with them were the fences at the price point, but the 50-220C M1 offers what IMO is a better alternative. I do like the looks of the new Sears 22124, but it is hard to overlook that tarnished image. Good luck with your decision.
    As Frank Pellow said, I'll be the Guinea pig on this one. I put my money down, but while I'm waiting, I'm trying to decide if the 50" Bies. makes sense for a garage shop.

Dave