Thread: raised panel templates

Question raised panel templates

Hello fellow wood workers. I am designing some cabinets for my in-law's. They decided on a traditional raised panel door. I know they sell templates but wasn't sure how they work or is there any other way that is more effective. I have made cabinets doors plenty of times but never raised panel cabinets doors. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks Josh

Arched Panels?

I guess that is what you're asking. The last time I did them I found out how many different widths I needed, drew the shapes of the arch for them, and cut templates out of hardboard. I found one could use the same curve for different width cabinets so long as the different widths were no more than about 4" apart. When confronted with a very wide cabinet door I split it into two panels with a stile in the middle. I am not sure I've answered your question. If not, ask again
    18th century nut --- Carl

Thanks your reply. I guess what i am asking is. I can't draw the arch very consitant. I would like to buy a template that i could trace it onto the wood. With all the different sizes of doors i would spend hours and hours drawing the arch onto the wood. I hope i made a little more sence. Thanks Josh

Try TWC. The Woodworkers Choice. They have a web site. They also have booths at the woodworking shows.
    I have several of their template sets. Prices run 59.00 to 69.00 usually at the show sales.
    Also Sommersfield sells templates. Higher prices though, and not any better.
    Just do a goggle search on door templates.
    Steve

usually works like this

glue up panel while flat, put template on, trace line and cut on band saw or jig saw then flush trim with router, then put bevel on with raised panel bit.

Keith