Thread: "Alone in the Wilderness":Woodworking in Alaska

"Alone in the Wilderness":Woodworking in Alaska

If you like hand tool woodworking and stunning wilderness settings, here's a movie for you.

In the late 1960's, a 50 year old mechanic named Dick Proenneke decided to build a cabin in alaska and live alone. He filmed himself building the cabin and getting set up for his first winter. I expected the scenery to be stunning and the story interesting, but didn't expect to see so much remarkable footage of woodworking with simple hand tools. He filmed himself making things like his door hinges out of burled wood, and a pancake batter spoon and furniture, not to mention the cabin itself.

The movie is well edited and his simple narration is pleasant and entertaining.

It's by far the most inspiring thing I have put in the DVD slot lately.

-Steve

Steve,

I've watched this movie many times and I always come away having noticed something new.

Initially, I had read the book and was thrilled to learn a movie existed. The book provides much much of his backstory as well as details of his time in Alaska.

Mike

I've seen it several times....am always in awe of his skills. Fantastic documentary!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Watch this video about Heimo Korth who lives in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge

It is a great video, though while not about woodworking, it is an incredible guy who lives on wits, self reliance, intelligence, and nature.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    Watch this video about Heimo Korth who lives in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge

It is a great video, though while not about woodworking, it is an incredible guy who lives on wits, self reliance, intelligence, and nature.
    Alex thanks for that link. Me and my dad both enjoyes it.

Great program, amazing story.

The naturalistic hinges from roots/trunks, the clever latches, the wilderness garden, the beautiful scenery, the multiple re-uses of tin cans. All of it so inspiring.

Hard to decide whether he was a greater woodworker/craftsman, survivalist or cinematographer/filmaker. I've used a 16mm Bolex, the images he captured with that camera are truly amazing. Each shot he took probably took up to 10x it's run time to capture: that on top of all the other labor kinda blows me away.

http://www.dickproenneke.com/DickProenneke.html

http://woodtrails.blogspot.com/2010/...ilderness.html

http://www.sweetjuniperinspiration.c...1916-2003.html

i always enjoyed watching this video when it is on PBS. He did receive regular supplies by bush plane. I wonder what he di if he fell sick or became injured in some way! nevertheless a testament to mans desire to conquer nature or at least learn to live in harmony with it.