Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitchen nearly complete

Very nice. I am just finishing up my kitchen and I see we used the same appliances

Bob

Brett,

Thanks for the information. I was hoping you had a different way of applying the A-R-S. I have applied it with an old t-shirt. Slow process for a large project.

Thanks again, Sam

Sam,

It sure was a time consuming process, especially with all the sanding and recoating. I suppose it didn't feel that bad for me as it might have as I was building and finishing each cabinet one by one as opposed to trying to finish all of them at once.

Even so, after about the 14th cabinet though, I was pretty sick of staining, sanding and finishing!

Brett,

I know what you mean. I don't mind the finishing so much, it is just the sanding I don't like. It seems like I have spent half of my life sanding...

I built and installed all prior to finishing. I have them stained, and now for the finish...

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Robson View Post

Carl, For the joinery, I used all sorts! The sub faces are joined by a 1/4" box joint to form the 90 degree angle. I attached the sub-front to the sides initially with glue and some brad nails, nailed from the front as to be hidden by the finish face. After the glue had set, I glued in some triangular blocks in the inside corners to reinforce the joint, then drilled and inserted two dowel pins horizontally through the sides/blocks/sub faces to lock the whole thing together.

The finish face pieces are just a but joint with a couple biscuits. I drilled the screw holes through the above mentioned triangular blocks to attach the finish face to the sub face.

Does that make sense?

I figured this would make a stronger joint than the ones I had examined at Lowes, which were just entirely face nailed together. They looked really sloppy I thought.
    Brett, great explanation! That makes it completely clear, thanks. Sounds very well engineered, the drawers should hold up to anything that you care to load into them.