Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New chuck?

New chuck?

I have the new lathe on the way (Delta 46-460) and i am pretty set on getting a better/new chuck over the one I have. Can't say money is no object but I will spend what i have to.

A friend recommended the Baracuda thats on sale at PSI...any input or suggestions?

Many thanks, I know yall will love spending my money!

I have the PSI (2) upgraded to a Nova G3 while I was using the Jet 1220 and now have three Nova SN2s. I feel the Novas are a considerably better chuck, or at least have better jaws, The delta has reversing and the PSI does not have the grub screw to make that safe. Rockler has the Delta model for $164 right now and Amazon lists the G3 w/ 1"-8tpi insert for $145. The Delta model looks like it has different jaws.
    Several on here will point to the Grizzly chucks at $100 and others the OneWay - its all what you are used to, Of course VicMarc is the Cadillac.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Look on Ebay, Nova G3 with insert for $115.00. Free shipping. Also comes with 50mm jaws.

+1 on the G3 from the bay. I got mine from there. Supernovas are bigger, but I would think that the G3 is plenty big for the midi. I have a SN 2 also. Good chuck too. Heavy though.

What chuck do you have now?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madden View Post
    Look on Ebay, Nova G3 with insert for $115.00. Free shipping. Also comes with 50mm jaws.
    And all the Nova jaws will fit it, except for the Titan Powergrips!!
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    What chuck do you have now?
    I dont even recall the brand, woodcrafters had it on sale when I got the lathe.

The Delta G3 looks to be the one I should get due to the reverse ability...?

I've got a Oneway talon and a grizzly chuck. I like both of them, but I greatly prefer the dovetail jaws on the grizzly to the talon jaws that came with the chuck. I seem to have better luck with dovetail tenons than straight tenons.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    I've got a Oneway talon and a grizzly chuck. I like both of them, but I greatly prefer the dovetail jaws on the grizzly to the talon jaws that came with the chuck. I seem to have better luck with dovetail tenons than straight tenons.
    Ditto what David said. I have a Barracuda and a ONeway Talon. The PSI quality is actually quite good, but it requires a separate adapter if you ever move up to larger than 1" spindle. I really don't care for the Oneway profiled jaws; I think they are overrated, but some love them. They tend to crush the wood fibers and don't actually hold as well as traditional jaws (IMHO). They easily damage the tenon and make re-chucking difficult. On the plus side, they are made in Canada, not China like so many other chucks/tools. Future jaws will be dovetailed.

Ken, I have three G3 chucks - great little chuck and all you need for the Delta lathe!

Ken, here is another vote for the Nova G3 and Nova SN2. I have them both and they serve me well as far as I am concerned.

"The best things in life are not things."

I've got the Nova G3, a nova midi, a Oneway talon, and a stronghold chuck. For a lathe your size I would go with the G3. Good holding power, a range of jaws, chuck key (as opposed to lever bars), and great value. I like to use the talon chuck on my 46-460, but mostly because I have the widest range of accessory jaws for it. That said, I don't think you will be at all disappointed with the G3, and unless you go to a significantly larger lathe and turn larger pieces than your current lathe can hold , the G3 will serve your needs for a long time. Oh, and did I mention that it is about half the cost of the Talon or Vicmarc VM100 chucks? You could buy two jaws (it's really nice to have more than one) for the same price. Yep, I think I've talked myself into another G3.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

I'm not the brightest bulb in the bunch, but I see 2 different G3 chucks...one is the Delta G3 designed for the reverse feature on the 46-460. That is the one I should be honing in on correct?

I havent yet been sucked into the bowl turning vortex, most of my work is done on mandrels, but as you can see the force is invading my thought process

All of the Nova chucks have the grub screw so that they can be locked to the spindle for reverse turning. If I understand correctly, the Delta G3 version does not use an adapter, but is threaded for 1"-8tpi. It does appear to also have custom jaws with both dovetail and serrations, but will work with standard jaws if you buy others later. The standard version (which requires a $20 adapter) can easily be changed to work on any lathe if/when you upgrade in the future. Standard jaws are dovetail only. Most of the eBay sales I saw included the adapter.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Ok, that gets me right! I wanted to make sure what i did buy would work!

Another vote for G3.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.