Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Corel X5 - worth updating ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I'm setting RGB as my default but it keeps reverting to CMYK.
    I've been fighting this as well, my wife who is not tech savvy, forgets to check, and you end up with dithered white, it's a real pain.
    -
    Zing 24 - 40 watts
    Corel X3/X5/X6
    Autocad 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fifield View Post
    Yeah, the new features in X5 are cool, BUT, they completely broke how the mouse scroll wheel works for zooming.

In X4 (and previous versions), wherever you placed the mouse cursor, the program zoomed in/out from there, so, if you wanted to zoom in on a specific area/feature in your drawing, you naturally zoomed and adjusted the mouse position (in or out) as you operated the zoom wheel and you were able to zoom anywhere easily and quickly.

In X5 they broke this. They take the zoom point as the mouse cursor of the first time you click the zoom wheel (in or out), and then do not update it, ever. So you cannot zoom in or out to a specific point just by moving the mouse as you rotate the zoom wheel. You end up getting lost on your drawing rapidly, and have to go up to the tool bar to do a "Fit to page" in order to get back to normality. It's just BROKEN!!! I tried to tell Corel about this, but they have not listened, apparently.

Anyone else have a problem with this, or just me?

Dave F.
    Dave

Go to Tools>Options>Toolbox>Zoom, Hand Tool and check the box that says center mouse when zooming with the mouse wheel.

See if that helps.
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

Quote Originally Posted by Joe De Medeiros View Post
    I've been fighting this as well, my wife who is not tech savvy, forgets to check, and you end up with dithered white, it's a real pain.
    I'm having the same problem,over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    For engravers, there was really no improvement in PhotoPaint.
    Really? I would of throught that the changes to Convert to Grayscale would of been very good for engravers.

2 other things to consider...

- Object co-ordinates docker lets you to create objects at a specific size and position on the page.
    - When exporting to PLT, users can now choose the uppper left as the origin instead of center of page and lower left

T.
    Last edited by Tony Severenuk (Corel); 12-16-2010 at 3:36 PM.

There is an option under the zoom tool to revert to the previous behaviour...

Tool>Options>Workspace>Toolbox> Zoom, hand tool....look for "[ ] Center mouse when zooming with the mouse wheel"
    T.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hartl View Post
    I'm having the same problem,over and over.
    Go to Tools>Color Management>Default settings
    Change the Primary Color Mode setting to RGB instead of CMYK

..this should get it sticking to RGB.

T.

Tony

That seems to work for the color.

How about the outline tool. it doesn't seem to stay in place even though I made it a default.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fifield View Post
    Yeah, the new features in X5 are cool, BUT, they completely broke how the mouse scroll wheel works for zooming.

In X4 (and previous versions), wherever you placed the mouse cursor, the program zoomed in/out from there, so, if you wanted to zoom in on a specific area/feature in your drawing, you naturally zoomed and adjusted the mouse position (in or out) as you operated the zoom wheel and you were able to zoom anywhere easily and quickly.

In X5 they broke this. They take the zoom point as the mouse cursor of the first time you click the zoom wheel (in or out), and then do not update it, ever. So you cannot zoom in or out to a specific point just by moving the mouse as you rotate the zoom wheel. You end up getting lost on your drawing rapidly, and have to go up to the tool bar to do a "Fit to page" in order to get back to normality. It's just BROKEN!!! I tried to tell Corel about this, but they have not listened, apparently.

Anyone else have a problem with this, or just me?

Dave F.
    I was not a fan of the scrolling in X5 when we first got it, but now after I've gotten used to it I prefer it over the old way.

(Also, change doesn't equal broken )
    -Garrett Nors

45w Epilog Helix ♦ Dahlgren Wizzard 2000ST (currently down for the count) ♦ CorelDRAW X3 ♦ Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop CS4

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Tony
    How about the outline tool. it doesn't seem to stay in place even though I made it a default.
    Sorry, I missed it...what isn't sticking with the outlines?
    T.

Tony

I like it positioned on the top toolbar with the drop down menu for widths. It defaults to the left hand outline flyout which is an extra step or two.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Sorry, but I'm still fuzzy...can you give me the exact steps you're doing and I'll try to figure it out.
    T.

I went from X4 to X5. I dont feel it was worth the money. Also I have more crashes and found more bugs in X5.

One thing I don't like with x5 (not sure if it was same in x4 since i went from x3) is the font selection preview. X5 updates the font of actual text on the screen rather than preview in the font drop down pane. Depending on the text your previewing it could take a few seconds for the font to update, also half the time the drop down pane blocks the text unless its off to the side of the dropdown pane. That is mt fault that i forget to think of this and be sure of text location. crashing isn't as bad as it was in the beginning, maybe sp2 fixed some of it
    Mike

Helix 75W runnin at 89W, Corel X3, Epilog Summit 25W (alive and kickin), CNC mills, lathes, vinyl cutter, Microflame Generator (flame polisher), and all kind of other stuff to keep things interesting

Thanks for the "zoom" setting tip - that's better!
    I've used 7 of the last 8 versions of Coreldraw. For actual functionality with a laser I don't think there have been many large improvements since version 9. There are a couple of cool toys, it's prettier and more integrated, but also a bit more "buggy". Trace is way better and Paint has been improved. Mind you, Paint really needed it.
    Photoshop is a wonderful program but has a very steep learning curve and a lot of its capabilities are wasted in the laser engraving area. The people who designed it are very, very clever.

Thanks Scott! That did the trick - the mouse scroll wheel zooming is now back to X4 action and I'm loving it again! I swear they added this little "fix" in the upadate - I looked high and low for it before and never found anything like this.....maybe they DID listen to my complaints after all?!

Cheers,
    Dave Fifiled
    Dave Fifield

XYZ Laser - 45W Epilog 36EXT, Rotary, Corel X4, Photograv