Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: End of an era - GE closed last light bulb plant in US

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post
    I bought a bunch of them when I heard they were going to be "banned" and the local Walmarts and Targets were getting rid of them for almost nothing. I always buy up as much as I can of anything that is on the upcoming "ban" list. Ever cracked open a small fluorescent bulb? The manufacturing of all those electronic components can't be good for the environment. Don't they also have mercury in the actual bulb part? I harvest the parts and use them in guitar circuits.
    They have mercury in them, but not tons. They are something you don't want to have your face in when they break, but you can clean them up when they do and not assume everyone is going to be brain dead in fifteen minutes (which some people will try to convince you. I've cleaned up several, so if they make you really stupid...I was already there, because nothing changed).

While it is true that incandescent light bulbs are being legislated out of production over time (not all at once), it is not true that the last incandecent plant in the US has been closed. Sylvania still produces incandescent lamps at their manufacturing plant in St Marys, Pennsylvania, and the glass bulbs are produced in nearby Wellsboro, Pennsylvania...with some other components in the lamp coming from other US and NAFTA locations.
    Also, there will continue to be special purpose incandescent bulbs produced.
    Sylvania also produces flourescent lamps and glass in Versailles, Kentucky...Halogen lamps in Winchester, Kentucky, ...automotive lamps in Hillsboro, NH...and high intensity discharge lamps in Manchester, NH...with other US, Canadian, and Mexican plants, in addition to plants all over the world.

Disclaimer... I have worked for Sylvania for over 25 years.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Myers; 09-24-2010 at 4:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I've got tons of them, too. I have no dimmers. I'm dim on my own.

If anyone wants to practice some fit of government defiance, come over to my house. I have a few that came in fixtures and machines that are full size and say nothing but CHINA on them, and that produce a crappy amount of light for the amount of electricity they consume.

We can turn them all on, maybe smoke some cigars and drink some bootleg whiskey. Once I get you all drunk, we'll build a small shed without obtaining a building permit and put oil lights in it that run by burning melted styrofoam.

And maybe build an outhose close to the neighbor's property (or on it) and poison some suburban squirrels (which I would LOVE to do) that reside near my bird feeder, as shots in the back with a wrist rocket don't seem to deter them for long (actually, they're starting to watch for the shots, and if they're close, they duck and dodge them).

Toss in shooting feral cats with an air rifle and you can count me in!!

Probably a lot like the Kindle vs. book argument. Incandescent bulbs don't last as long so there's waste throughout the lifecycle. They've probably got some trace amount of heavy metals in them. Then there's the energy they use, most of which is fossil-fuel generated here. And of course there are traces of mercury in those emissions. I've never seen a comparison, but I'd bet the CFLs, while clearly not perfect, are better overall.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 09-24-2010 at 5:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Leigh View Post
    Toss in shooting feral cats with an air rifle and you can count me in!!
    Took you long enough to get that one in, Joe
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Myers View Post
    While it is true that incandescent light bulbs are being legislated out of production over time (not all at once), it is not true that the last incandecent plant in the US has been closed. Sylvania still produces incandescent lamps at their manufacturing plant in St Marys,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...090706933.html

I read more into the headline than was warranted. GE has closed, blah, blah....

Although.... The article also goes on to say:

"The last major U.S. factory making ordinary incandescent light bulbs will soon be closing. When it does, the remaining 200 workers at the Winchester, Va., plant, about 70 miles west of Washington, D.C., will lose their jobs, marking a small, sad exit for a product that began with Thomas Alva Edison's innovations in the 1870s."

So...if you think Sylvania is a major producer that ISN'T closing perhaps a quick call to the Washington Post is in order.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...090706933.html

I read more into the headline than was warranted. GE has closed, blah, blah....

Although.... The article also goes on to say:

"The last major U.S. factory making ordinary incandescent light bulbs will soon be closing. When it does, the remaining 200 workers at the Winchester, Va., plant, about 70 miles west of Washington, D.C., will lose their jobs, marking a small, sad exit for a product that began with Thomas Alva Edison's innovations in the 1870s."

So...if you think Sylvania is a major producer that ISN'T closing perhaps a quick call to the Washington Post is in order.
    Mitch... I'm a VP with Sylvania and do know for a fact that St Marys will continue to produce.... but this isn't the first time the press gets some facts wrong, or incomplete... I'll drop a note to our PR folks, but this stuff is seldom worth the effort to get into discussions with them on...
    Thanks for the link though!
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Probably a lot like the Kindle vs. book argument. Incandescent bulbs don't last as long so there's waste throughout the lifecycle. They've probably got some trace amount of heavy metals in them. Then there's the energy they use, most of which is fossil-fuel generated here. And of course there are traces of mercury in those emissions. I've never seen a comparison, but I'd bet the CFLs, while clearly not perfect, are better overall.
    I think you're right about that, Matt.

Has anyone seen a CFL that replaces appliance bulbs? I haven't... I also haven't seen alternatives for night light bulbs that are worth their weight. Incandescent bulbs still have a purpose that Congress cannot legislate out of existence.

I have been using CFLs around the house and have an LED candle bulb in my girl's room. It works really well and only consumes 5 watts... If they come down in price and improved quality, I might get more.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

You'll have to start evaluating locations to determine if they are incandescent-worthy. (Seinfeld fans will get this.)

I just remembered that I also have a CFL bulb in my old gas pump which is on a photocell. Its just a couple watts and has been in there a good 4 years or so, outside. Its "TCP" branded which is a line our local Do-It-Best hardware store carries that has a lot of obscure CFLs.

Quote Originally Posted by rick carpenter View Post
    You'll have to start evaluating locations to determine if they are incandescent-worthy. (Seinfeld fans will get this.)
    Yea, good one.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Sounds like a woodworker's invitation to do some metalwork with the frame of that lamp.....a coat hanger and a mapp torch
    Welder, actually . We have one swing arm lamp that uses a unique harp arrangement--it has a short curved perpendicular T bar that clips into the lamp base. SWMBO wanted to use a 3 way CFL in it so I bought the 'fattest' harp I could find, cut the end off the original harp and welded that end to the new harp. It looks a little strange, (not TOO bad) but that's what lamp shades are for .

Quote Originally Posted by rick carpenter View Post
    I laughed heartily from my diaphragm when I read this...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    [URL]The article also goes on to say:

When will the light bulb over America's head go on with the thought that this might be a bad thing?

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.