Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Kindle with 3G and wireless

New Kindle with 3G and wireless

Got LOML a new 6" Kindle for an early B'day present. That is one slick little marvel.

.5 pound, pencil thin, a month on a charge, cheap.

I get it now. I have seen the future and it saves trees. More trees for us to cut up...

Yea, yea. It's not an ipad, but it is not supposed to be - so sit down.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    I have seen the future and it saves trees.
    Yeah, saves trees and also gives us all those wonderful toxic byproducts used in making electronic equipment. Nothing says "Save the planet" like a battery in a landfill
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Yeah, saves trees and also gives us all those wonderful toxic byproducts used in making electronic equipment. Nothing says "Save the planet" like a battery in a landfill
    Debbie Downer.

Start a new thread examining the diesel and other resources used to harvest and transport the trees/produce pulp and paper and then transport the books and the by-products/pollutants of paper/ink manufacturing. I'll be glad to offer a few links showing the disgusting acid-laden mess downstream from just about every pulp mill and the naked mountaintops.

Even the recycling of paper has it's down side.

It would be an interesting comparison.... mining/chips/batteries/plastics/disposal compared to trees/paper/transportation/pollution/recycling. Which has the smallest footprint.

I'm guessing if during the lifespan of an 8oz Kindle containing a 1.5oz battery, 100 to 300 books, magazines and newspapers are not produced the kindle comes up with the smaller footprint.

Even by reading magazines and watching video news clips on my 2yo laptop I've avoided making/disposing of 100+ periodicals... and counting.

In part:

http://cleantech.com/news/4867/clean...-positive-envi

"New report conducts lifecycle analysis of Amazon’s Kindle, suggesting significant environmental advantages compared to the publishing of books, magazines and newspapers."

"The Cleantech Group forecasts that e-readers purchased from 2009 to 2012 could prevent 5.3 billion kg of carbon dioxide in 2012, or 9.9 billion kg during the four-year time period. "

http://gigaom.com/cleantech/why-the-...or-the-planet/

Last edited by Mitchell Andrus; 09-23-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Mitchell,
    My wife and I are a convert also. She even has an Ipad for work...but goes to her Kindle for reading books/articles. I can sit outside and read for as long as I want without any eye strain. When we moved we realized how many books we actually have but since getting the Kindles we have limited our paper books to a VERY few. However...the REAL reason we love them is convenience. Every book we have bought (literally 100's) since getting the Kindles are at our finger tips. Makes mobility and reading extremely pleasant.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

When they make a color screen.... look out. That will truly make college textbooks, art books, travel brochures, etc., things of the past and blow the market wide open.

On the down-side....

I can imagine my Kindle buzzing to alert me that a brochure with a discount coupon (and bar code on the screen) has arrived for a restaurant at the next exit on the highway. THAT'S coming, mark my words. ...Hope the feature has an 'off' button.

I recently bought the really fancy Kindle through work (it's the 9inch), and I am pretty bloody impressed. I bought it because there are more and more reference works I use that are available for Kindle, and I thought it would be nice to have them in a lightweight electronic version that I can carry with me anywhere in the world.

It is nice to be carrying copies of twelve books rather than the books themselves. The books are a little cheaper in Kindle format as well. These are high level math texts, and they are graphic intensive (although not color). I know that there are some calculus textbook publishers already going into e-Book format. I don't know if I would want to read it on a 6 inch screen, but it is already happening.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

I just got my 6" Kindle this week. I'm VERY impressed with it. Since I'm a book lover, I'll end up buying the paper versions of some books also. After having moved from MS I DON'T want to ever have to decide what books I'll give away again. With the Kindle they say you can have something like 3500(?) books on it. Figure out how many boxes THAT would take to move if in paper!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    Debbie Downer.
    The highlight of my day, being call Debbie Downer by Mitchell. Irony is at finest
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Gave one to my wife and she really likes it compared to my ipad. The Kindle is a lot easy to hold for long term reading compared to the ipad.
    The other reason is now I don't have to share the ipad.

My wife bought me a Kindle DX last Christmas. I liked it. I found it on the slow side - as far as turning pages and using the menu system and the keyboard was terrible. I presume the new models are better. Anyway, a month later the iPad was announced and I sold the Kindle on eBay. What I miss the most about the Kindle is the no glare screen and being able to read in direct sunlight.

Mike

The highlight of my day, being call Debbie Downer by Mitchell. Irony is at finest
    I'm starting a club.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Zilis View Post
    What I miss the most about the Kindle is the no glare screen and being able to read in direct sunlight.

Mike
    You NEED light, just like a book. I also got the leather cover with the book light. It's powered by the kindle.. clever.

While he did say "saves trees," he also said "for us to cut up," so he wasnt really saying "SAVE the trees," he was saying "saves the trees for WOODWORKERS." No implication of trying to save the planet.

I would like to have one just to read the news paper but want color.
    Reviews say that papers like USA Today is watered down and not as much images.

Be great to get your woodworking magazines on.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quite a coincidence. No more than two hours ago a friend came over to brag with his newest generation kindle. I really liked it and wifey will be getting one for Christmas. She always takes a book with her (just in case there is a line in the store). That little kindle will make things and choices easier for her.

I read that you can import pdf format into it, but not sure if it need to be a book bought from Amazon, or can I also transfer books I already bought elsewhere.

A side note: I'm kinda unsure about my position on the whole issue of saving trees, discussed on a woodworking forum