Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google is getting creepier

Google is getting creepier

I was surprised, and actually a bit annoyed, when Google started trying to auto-complete my results as I typed them in. Has anyone noticed the new behavior of actually returning search results AS YOU TYPE? That's just downright disturbing.

Blog Entries
    I love it... sometimes it leads me down roads I didn't expect.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I was surprised, and actually a bit annoyed, when Google started trying to auto-complete my results as I typed them in. Has anyone noticed the new behavior of actually returning search results AS YOU TYPE? That's just downright disturbing.
    Yeah, they've got records of everything you type in now because of the autocomplete, too. Best I can tell with a packet sniffer watching my stuff on the outgo, it sends a pack of data and requests information back every single time you type a letter.

I am also not a fan. I'm sure all of the other search engines are doing the same thing, and they probably were before the autocomplete was as advanced.

You don't think they recorded search results before?

That's what I'm saying, that just because we're seeing the evidence of it now doesn't mean that they weren't collecting every letter we typed long before now (and not just google - a catalog of tracking cookies may not store keystroke data, but it tracks our movement to pipe ads to us). I didn't have a packet sniffer running 5 years ago to look, though, just now because the auto-complete made me wonder just how much data they're collecting.

When you check the tracking cookies and then go to their "opt out", it's funny that they tell you you'll be missing out on their special services if you don't allow them to track you.

More user data means more ad revenue and more data to sell or use for market research internally. It's cheap to collect, we're literally giving it away.

Oh, I know they've been collecting data for a long time. The creepy part is watching this massive search engine, probably in a big room buried underground in Sunnyvale somewhere, trying to read my mind every time I type a letter. There's just something very Skynet about the whole thing.

Blog Entries
    It's ironic... a programmer came up with an implementation for Bing a year before and Microsoft, after careful consideration, said it was worthless.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Oh, I know they've been collecting data for a long time. The creepy part is watching this massive search engine, probably in a big room buried underground in Sunnyvale somewhere, trying to read my mind every time I type a letter. There's just something very Skynet about the whole thing.
    They are actually sucking on your brain everytime you log on...
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    They are actually sucking on your brain every time you log on...

That must be why my fingertips tingle.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    More user data means more ad revenue and more data to sell or use for market research internally. It's cheap to collect, we're literally giving it away.
    We're not giving it away for free, anyway. We do get a streamlined presentation of like-kind content. I like it. It saves me a whole lot of time when I'm looking for something obscure, and I find value in that.

Turn on the ads on this forum and watch what comes up as you browse the different content categories.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

It's actually in Santa Clara!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

A simple workaround for this annoyance is...

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en

Redheads are like other women – only more so

All I do is move the cursor to the right and turn "instant off"!

You can go to "settings" and turn it off permanently there too.

15. Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Yeah, they've got records of everything you type in now because of the autocomplete, too. Best I can tell with a packet sniffer watching my stuff on the outgo, it sends a pack of data and requests information back every single time you type a letter.

I am also not a fan. I'm sure all of the other search engines are doing the same thing, and they probably were before the autocomplete was as advanced.
    It's so bad now that about the only way you can have any privacy is to pay some Albanian or Chezk rogue military guys put up a satellite just for you, so you can bounce encrypted communications off that.
    Proxies are worthless because your ISP maintains eternal records.
    Small ISPs who don't make a permanent record of everything are pretty much non existent any more.
    Carnivore and Omnivore are ~ ~ ~ well they are almost everywhere.

Marketing people are almost everywhere buying up metadata and lists and pretty much everything else they can that connects yo to any imaginable possible market activity.
    I recall the Creek was selling Disks with (I forget) was it images and project posts or just the whole ball of wax - and I don't recall if any one thought to remove all personally identifiable data?
    I hope they did.

It would be nice of the Creek could make the site non-searchable to Google and the like what with people using their real names.

But this really blew me away:
    One evening my home phone rang.
    My wife picked it up.
    There was a conversation going on the phone.
    It was between a family member and a hotel reservation clerk.
    My wife tried to speak into the dialog and no one noticed her - she was the fly on the wall.
    Some time later I spoke to that other family member and asked him about it.
    He told me that his conversation with the hotel reservation clerk had taken place Six-Months prior to my phone ringing that evening.

Isn't that interesting?
    Someone recorded the whole conversation of a mundane banal boring hotel reservation, then some machine (or person?) somewhere made a connection to my home phone and played the recording.

Go figure.

You think the internet is scary?
    Who has that sort of capability, to record and keep such useless material and to do what they did with it?