Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3M film

3M film

The 3M company must be doing well in this economy.

Based upon a different thread concerning labeling keyboard keys, I ordered a sample of the laserable 3M film.

3M generously sent me 300 FEET of it!!! Probably more than I could ever use in my lifetime.

However, a product data sheet I found online stated that you should use a yag laser. It's very similar to Laser Lights and the topcoat is acrylate......which a quick Google search seems to indicate is a vinyl polymer.....anyone know if it's safe? Oh......for info about emissions from laser engraving/cutting, 3M tells you to contact their division in Germany........

Has anyone else used this material, and if so, for what applications?

Any setting recommendations? 3M doesn't provide them.

Thanks
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Blog Entries
    If it's an acrylate, you're fine...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

For GCC Mercury 25 Wt I use Speed 100%, Power 10-11-12-13-14, DPI 600. And very important set MANUAL COLOR FILL in MODE SETTING (I think this is valid only for GCC lasers). Last setting is very important for fillings and bar codes.

Steve - send me half of samples
    GCC Dealer in Baltic countries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    3M generously sent me 300 FEET of it!!! Probably more than I could ever use in my lifetime...

the topcoat is acrylate......which a quick Google search seems to indicate is a vinyl polymer.....anyone know if it's safe?

for info about emissions from laser engraving/cutting, 3M tells you to contact their division in Germany.

Hi Steve,

Where did you order a sample from? When I looked for a resource in US, the product line never showed up in their 'Security Products Division' (feel free to PM).

You probably already knew this...

The word you want to avoid is "chlor" [SIC].
    As in Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC), Chlorinated polyvinyl chloride (CPVC), etc.

Other "words" I like to avoid (especially around heat/flame) are:
    Urea, Formaldehyde, Urea-Formaldehyde, PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene - trade name: Teflon)

And can be found in: MDF, Floral Foam, Melamine, Formica, among other materials I'd suspect.

If you are ever in doubt about some material, request the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for it.
    Then google the 'CAS number' for each of the compounds they list.
    May not always the best solution, but better than nothing at all imo.
    Last edited by Robert Walters; 09-22-2010 at 2:22 PM.

May be will be helpful - that's what I get from 3M Germany. Really 3M is very difficult company in terms of purchasing/getting information/samples.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Steve,
    Where did you find the film? I have searched the 3m site and can't find it anywhere.

Thanks,
    Gary

Gary & Bob......I'm not sure exactly where I found it.......but it was definitely on the 3m.com website........there was a button that you clicked that said "Request a Sample". Of course that was a week ago and when I went looking for it today, I couldn't find it. I know I Googled "3M security tape" to find it originally.

Viktor......the roll weighs about 8lbs........probably would cost me $200 to mail it to you!

And Viktor's right......3M definitely isn't the easiest company to work with.......even if I wanted to buy more of this stuff......I have no idea how!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

3M loves $ 000 000 customers When 8 years ago I have sent dealer inquiry to local 3M office, they provide me a lot of samples, many promotion materials BUT! they ask me buy initial order for almost $90 000 . When I refuse this proposal - they immediatelly loose interest to me

Great Steve

I only know this one http://www.tesa.com/industry/product...aserlabel.html

Andrea

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    Gary & Bob......I'm not sure exactly where I found it.......but it was definitely on the 3m.com website........there was a button that you clicked that said "Request a Sample".
    Found it here, but no sign of the magic "request sample" button.

EDIT: Hang on, found it, it's here, over on the right. It's just a standard contact form with the subject prefilled to "Request Sample"...we'll see how well this works or if they wised up after Steve got his.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 09-22-2010 at 4:39 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post

EDIT: Hang on, found it, it's here, over on the right. It's just a standard contact form with the subject prefilled to "Request Sample"...we'll see how well this works or if they wised up after Steve got his.
    That's it Lee! Not easy to find even when you know where to look! I'll bet Viktor's right.....they probably think that we will be small potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post

UPS just dropped off an envelope...not nearly the mass quantity Steve got, but useful:
    five 8.5"x10" sheets of 7848 (silver/black) and ten 4.75"x10" sheets of 7847 (black/white).
    Should be fun to play around with, once I work out the settings.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Lee, 3M staff react very quickly on sudden increase in samples requests

Very interesting - 4.75" is standart width, but I never seen in my life laser films in 8.5" width which is better for engraving
    Last edited by Viktor Voroncov; 09-29-2010 at 2:49 PM.

I got an email saying they would contact me, but no sample yet. Maybe they want to ask why so many people are ordering samples all of a sudden. I'm going to give them Steve's name.
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

I got a package today, it had quite a few sheets of black and silver. I'll test them over the next week or so.

Gary