Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Laser Scanning Endeavor

Blog Entries
    I don't know how you have your system set up, but you can't beat physics... double green sensors is for light-gathering capabilities, not resolution. Unless you are able to directly access the doubled resolution of the green sensors, you will have the same res as the red or blue sensors. If you're getting a lower res with red, I would look at the optics on the red beam, for starters...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Higher Details not Resolution

Sorry,
    I wrongly quoted that with green filter we get high resolution.. Actually using Green filter we get higher details (double) as compared to Red or Blue Filters in camera..
    A digital camera uses a sensor array of millions of tiny pixels in order to produce the final image.The most common type of color filter array is called a "Bayer array," shown in figure.
    A Bayer array consists of alternating rows of red-green and green-blue filters. Notice how the Bayer array contains twice as many green as red or blue sensors. Each primary color does not receive an equal fraction of the total area because the human eye is more sensitive to green light than both red and blue light. Redundancy with green pixels produces an image which appears less noisy and has finer detail than could be accomplished if each color were treated equally. This also explains why noise in the green channel is much less than for the other two primary colors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalid Khattak View Post
    Sorry,
    I wrongly quoted that with green filter we get high resolution.. Actually using Green filter we get higher details (double) as compared to Red or Blue Filters in camera..
    That's saying the same thing, just with different words...
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalid Khattak View Post
    A digital camera uses a sensor array of millions of tiny pixels in order to produce the final image.The most common type of color filter array is called a "Bayer array," shown in figure.
    A Bayer array consists of alternating rows of red-green and green-blue filters. Notice how the Bayer array contains twice as many green as red or blue sensors. Each primary color does not receive an equal fraction of the total area because the human eye is more sensitive to green light than both red and blue light. Redundancy with green pixels produces an image which appears less noisy and has finer detail than could be accomplished if each color were treated equally. This also explains why noise in the green channel is much less than for the other two primary colors.
    You're preaching to the choir... my Master's degree research area was digital image processing. But as I mentioned before, the doubling of green sensors does nothing for your received resolution, it is only there for increased light sensitivity in the green wavelengths... two green sensors are combined into one before they are transmitted to you. Trust me, you could have 100 green sensors elements for every red and blue and the final resolution would still be limited to what is transmitted (one red, one green, and one blue for each sensor "pixel").

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    That's saying the same thing, just with different words...

You're preaching to the choir... my Master's degree research area was digital image processing.
    First i am happy and glad by learning from you .. My apologies if i said something wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    But as I mentioned before, the doubling of green sensors does nothing for your received resolution, it is only there for increased light sensitivity in the green wavelengths... two green sensors are combined into one before they are transmitted to you. Trust me, you could have 100 green sensors elements for every red and blue and the final resolution would still be limited to what is transmitted (one red, one green, and one blue for each sensor "pixel").
    There is difference between DETAILS and RESOLUTION ... For example:
    1- Look at the picture below with Red, Green and Blue Filters.. You will see that the pictures were snapped from the one location and with the same resolution.. but in Red and Blue you are getting less details whereas in Green you are getting almost double the details...
    Another reason you are not getting details in Red and Blue filter because of interpolation between the pixels and Noise...

If the camera can see more detail in Green then you will get more detail in scan... Please correct me...

Blog Entries
    Your final image to work on is X by Y, right? It doesn't matter that the camera scans at 2X by 2Y, if the final image given to you is X by Y. It could scan at 50X by 2000Y, but you still get an X by Y image. So you have a camera that scans at X by Y in the red and blue planes, and 2X by Y in the green... but the final image handed to you is downsampled to X by Y. You've gained no final resolution by using the green channel.

A more likely explanation is the sensor is not as sensitive to the red wavelength of the red laser diode, which reduces your dynamic range for each image. This causes a loss of useful resolution in the final image. Hence my suggestion for trying a blue laser diode and seeing if the sensor is more sensitive to the blue plane... if it's more sensitive than the green, your perceived final resolution will be even better.

In fact, if you look at the red and blue planes of your attached picture, the dynamic range appears to be quite poor... the resolution is the same with all three planes, but the dynamic range is poor in the red and blue compared to the green. That has a drastic effect on the data the point cloud is created from.

Hi Dan thanks for the information

Orange Scan

Today, When i was in the park with my little son i found a pure white feather.. I picked it up and found that it was a pigeon feather....I kept it for my laser scanning purpose..

Rooster Scan Revisited- Windows Crash and Recovery

I have a window crash last week and after that i have done many scans but this Rooster scan was carried out Planeless... Here you can see the color depth image...

Here is the Various scans of the same Rooster with different view angles and orientation...

Here you can see all above scan in assembled form..

and Here is the Simple fusion results..

Last edited by Khalid Khattak; 10-11-2010 at 9:45 AM.

Waynee.. received the model of the Rooster and preparing it for machining this weekend.. I told him to take lot of pictures.. Here is the Vectric Cut3D image...

A couple of days ago i received a Dragon Head for Laser scanning from Mayo Pardo , USA... He want to make a Mail box out of it on his CNC.. He wrote me about his idea of How he will machine it:

"For the machining technique, I was thinking of cutting the head as a left side and a right side.Each side will need to be cut in several slices which I will glue together.Then I would glue the left and right sides together to complete the head. This is going to be a challenging project for me! And then to paint it to look like the model is another challenge"

It was a difficult scan because of intricate details and undercuts.. Moreover, the size of Dragon head was very small.. I did about 17 scans from all the angles to collect maximum details out of it.. the final 3D model is about High resolution 58Mb file... The scaling of the Dragon Head will not loose resolution...

Banana Scan

I have seen lot of Banana's scan on the internet so i also tried one to take the credit . This banana is special as i didn't added any powder or spray on it.. You can see the dark areas are not scanned.. However i am in process of combining the scans and let the Poisson fusion works on it...
    Following is the Color depth image of misc. scans:

All the scans:

and finally combined:

Laser Scanned Rooster machining on CNC by Waynee Hill

Here is the video of CNC machining of the scanned Rooster by Waynee Hill... Waynee used Vectric Cut3D for toolpath Generation...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT25spN4ulw

this is getting better all the time!!

Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    this is getting better all the time!!
    Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the remarks... I have seen your work and i must say you have learn a lot in a short span of time.. Your work is impressive
    Regards

i need to buy High-quality scanner for carving

Hi to all :

I want to buy a camera with high quality and save an image to work on the ArtCam program . Work without any additions or cleaning .I want advice or a particular type to buy .