Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SMC Design Critiques #1

Joe,
    You are never late...these threads are here to use
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I like everything about this chair, however I couldn't tell if the seat was contoured or not. If it isn't then I think it should be. The base is perfect, assuming that it is on a carpet. It is well designed to allow plenty of leg movement while playing.

BTW. is the artist Segovia? I saw him live in 1958. Absolutely the best!

Chet Parks

Question Fake Guitar?

I don't have any brilliant commentary on the chair, although it struck me as functional at best. Not particularly ugly nor attractive.

But the guitar caught my eye. Is it a fake prop? I don't see any sound hole? I'm not a guitar player (saxophonist back in school and college days), but I remember all but the electrics having a hole below the fret board underneath where your fingers strum. Can't see that on this one.

ap

Mark,
    There is no question regarding the building skill, awesome!
    I have the same questions/comments regarding the three-point legs/bottom, on-the-floor stretcher. The sides of the seat appear to be too "weighty"/thick for the rest of the piece. Perhaps if the bottom of the sides of the seat were bevelled, as some table tops are, to appear thinner, it would have more of a "floating" appearance. I like the design concept but again, would like to have the sides of the seat a little less "stout" appearing.
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pedler
    ...But the guitar caught my eye. Is it a fake prop? I don't see any sound hole? I'm not a guitar player (saxophonist back in school and college days), but I remember all but the electrics having a hole below the fret board underneath where your fingers strum. Can't see that on this one.

ap
    Andy, the guitar shown is known as an arch top acoustic. They are not real common any more, but before the days of electric guitars, a lot of jazz and big-band guitarists used arch top guitars. In fact, the very first "electric" guitars were arch top acoustics with a microphone or other magnetic pickup attacted. Unlike a typical classical or steel-string acoustic guitar, the arch top guitars have "F" holes, much like a violin or cello.

That said, I'm guessing the guitar in the photo was used as a prop. The chair was made for a classical guitarist, and the guitar shown isn't really geared for classical technique.

I studied classical guitar for a while in my guitar education, but one of my personal dislikes for that style was the sitting position. To me, the chair in question is right for its purpose, but it doesn't compel me to sit in it.

- Vaughn

Vaughn, thanks for the guitar explanation! Glad to hear it probably is legitimate and not just a prop.

ap

I'm not a big fan of the dark and light contrast in very many pieces. Taking that away from this piece, I'd like it. All maple or all walnut, cherry... nice shape and form for the application.

One concern though it that it doesn't look like the back of the chair has enough lumbar support for its function. Maybe it's just my perspective of the side profile photo.

Nice chair, would not work for me

Overall, I agree with several previous posters, it seems to suffer from mutiple personalities, several diverse styles that don't seem mesh for me.

Like: the guitar, the craftsmanship in the chair itself. For the purpose intended, it might be just right.

Don't like: the back almost looks like a spinal cord (or should that be chord...) Would it be better visually if the back extended all the way to the floor? More continuity in the piece that way?

The sculpted seat would be way too confining for me, I like to move around on a stool a little, especially if I'm playing with a bunch of other folks. For that matter, the whole thing is a bit too rigid for my tastes in furniture and playing style. For a classical player, rigid might be good, but for jazz and blues, it don't swing...

I like this critique idea btw, thanks for posting it.

Jeff

I really like the creative way the back is created/joined and the contrast of the woods used. I will echo Jim's comments on the stability issue and three point contact. However, for me, the overall design is a bit too radical for my taste! (Good thing I am not the customer!)

Mark said to be honest so here it goes. YUCK! Im sorry but I just dont like stuff like this. Period furniture is my thing so Im so biased this really isnt even fair to the maker but I just dont like the design. I can however appreciate the effort and realize that it did take some skill to make the chair. Kudos for that.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I guess it's a matter of how closely one thinks form should follow function.

Visually, the chair is interesting, but not attractive to me. The obviously skeletal back just doesn't seem to go with the seat and legs/base.

However, if I look at it with a view toward the specific purpose for which it was intended, it looks much better. The narrow back virtually eliminates the possibility of scratching the guitar, the wide base provides stability, the wide sculpted seat and forward thrust of the back seem perfect for the classical guitar posture.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

As a guitarist I know just from the point of contributing to sitting properly when playing classical guitar it is a very good design. From an esthetic point of view it looks unresolved. I keep mentally wanting to push it back so that it doesn't appear to be leaning forward. It just seems akward on its own. I think a chair should look inviting and something that gives the appearnce that it will support you. I give it a 9. Nice archtop guitar, though.

13. Guitar chair

I think the chair is beautiful and well proportioned. It reminds me of a person with good posture. The back looks like bones and the base like two legs slightly apart. Good musicians usually have good posture and I think the chair encourages it.

Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie to SMC and really appreciate the forum.

I like this chair. From my point of view, it's radical, functional for its intended purpose and way off the beaten path. To me, it's art. Period. Even if it weren't a functional chair it's a beautiful piece of sculpture.

Admitedly, I'm a bit biased in that regard. Personally, I think that wood is an underused medium for art. The person that built this of functional art made a statement, expressed themself. If only one other person on the planet who sees this chair and "gets it"....mission accomplished!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Timothy Leary vs. Lava Lamp

This is a joke......right?

FRITZ

NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE.
    Buckaroo Banzai [/SIGPIC]