Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: If I ever take on glass engraving again, smack me...

Blog Entries
    Hey Bill, I am always amazed with the results you get consistently from glass. I havent played with glass yet, but will at some point when some time presents itself. But in the meantime I keep watching what others are experiencing, both on this forum and folks who do it locally, and every time the results I see are so inferior to sandblasting I just dont understand what is going on. Like you and Dan, I know a very few who seem to be able to do it consistently well, but most flail at it and get pretty disappointing and often highly variable results. And these are people who I know approach something like this methodically and carefully, bracketing around techniques looking for the sweet spot that gives them good results, and they have good luck with every material they play with. Except of course, glass! I also noted that when I could compared well lasered glass against sandblasted glass the sandblasting is clearly better. Have you had a chance to compare your engraving on glass against similar efforts with abrasives? Just curious. It also seemed that the abrasive work I have seen was much faster than lasering glass. Any thoughts on that?

It is fascinating to follow. Someday, I will be so fascinated I will try it myself....drawn like a mouse to the gaping jaws of a snake I suppose. <grin>
    Thanks for sharing all your techniques in that earlier post BTW. I have saved that for when I hear the siren call of glass engraving.
    Last edited by David Somers; 06-04-2016 at 2:35 PM.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Scott, I see Rayzist in your future......
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

Sorry it took so long to get back you, busy,busy,busy... I do mostly photographs on glass, it's my speciality, and I have never seen a piece of sandblasted glass that can even come close to the detail I can achieve with the laser. A sand blast mask will not hold a stochastic screen fine enough for really high detail. Sand is great for text & line art, but with proper image correction for detailed work the blast masking falls way short. There is lots of my work posted here but I have yet to see anything close to the detail done with a sandblaster. If anyone can show me, I would be fascinated to see how it's done.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Hi Bill,
    I bow to your expertise in photographs I will freely confess that you and a couple of others, do outstanding work with photos on lasers. I do however think that for text, logos etc, there is nothing like sandblasting for a perfect finish every time. Almost never a reject and customers love the resulting depth and crispness.
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

I believe that engraving depends of a glass quality. Every year we get to engrave the same glass plaque that has those magic letter syndrome. I have tried different dpi, speed, power and letters keep behaving like ninjas. And this year, same plaque but it was good after first try! all of them! I do not know how did this happened because I have settings in software for this tippical glass. Well, you learn very day something new.
    Trotec Speedy 300
    Trotec Speedy 400

I just installed a sand blaster myself after having my 80w laser for many years, and I tried some window glass in my laser, and just a few minutes ago I tried the same image in the blaster, well the blasted looks the best.

The laser looks watered down, or not a white as the blasted does.

I like the idea of using the laser for flat glass, no stencil to cut and position, no having to put on the gloves, and not having to peel the stencil off.
    I will keep both though.
    Rabbit RL-80-9060
    Roland SP-540i
    Graphtec ce5000-60
    Graphtec fc7000-100
    Happy HDC2-1501
    Juki 1541s

I don't do a lot of glass, but for what it is worth this seems to be a pretty good article:

https://www.engraversjournal.com/art...360/index.html

Jimmy
    Shenhui SH-G690 Laser
    Shark Pro CNC Router
    G0619/SX3 CNC Milling Machine
    Vytek Rebel CNC Router (Mach3 Conversion)
    Rostock MAX 3D Printer
    NextEngine 3D HD Scanner
    Epson Stylus Pro 9880 Printer
    Mighty Press Transfer Press
    Chinese Laminator