Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser Engraving Ivory

Lightbulb Laser Engraving Ivory

Has anyone worked with real ivory with respect to lasering? Any stories, comments or recommendations are appreciated.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

It stinks a bit when you cut it. You need to watch your frequency settings because it will burn and char if it is too high. Engraves nicely but doesn't leave very dark marks, so infilling is important consideration. I would say be careful when you make your tests and do small areas in order to do them, it's a difficult medium to access these days and strict laws governing it's use.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I've engraved a bit of it and get a very dark mark using 40 speed/100 power at 600 dpi. It does stink kind of like hair. The best source for thin pieces is old piano keys or new old stock. You cannot import it from other countries unless you want a lot of trouble.

cheers, dee
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dee Gallo; 09-17-2010 at 7:30 PM.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

The ivory I've engraved has turned out VERY nice! Prior to engraving I waxed my pieces with Johnsons Paste wax to seal things up. Then engraved and colored filled yadayada and finalized the pieces by cleaning them up. No problems, charge accordingly. By the way where did you get the ivory? I got mine from a trading post in Washington, they sold it by the thickness I wanted. I see places selling it now by the gram???? It is beautiful stuff but way too pricey anymore. I would also recommend a "faux" ivory by several of the solid surface manufacturers. Something to think about.

Bruce

I read that boxwood is supposed to be a good substitute for ivory, never seen anything made out of it in real.

Andrea

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

I purchased some ivory blanks from Boone Trading Company. I was very happy with the product, customer service, etc.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I did two times in my life, quality was good, but smell
    GCC Dealer in Baltic countries

Thank you for all the responses. I will be sure to post my results should I move forward on this project.

After a bit of discussion, we are not going to use real ivory but instead use a faux ivory. Does anyone know where I would be able to get belt buckle blanks? I have searched with little result..I think I may be looking for the wrong thing.
    Last edited by Chris DeGerolamo; 09-20-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Changed my mind
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

That might be a good canidate for some Corian. Easy to engrave and the fixings should be easy to find.

GDG

Quote Originally Posted by chris degerolamo View Post
    Thank you for all the responses. I will be sure to post my results should I move forward on this project.

After a bit of discussion, we are not going to use real ivory but instead use a faux ivory. Does anyone know where I would be able to get belt buckle blanks? I have searched with little result..I think I may be looking for the wrong thing.
    Chris, search for "casein" and you will find what is also known as "french ivory", which is a fake ivory with streaks replicating real ivory grain.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

there's also a certain large tree-nut that makes for a very good replacement for ivory. it's not very big (about 3 inches max) but works for small inlays.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bejmuk View Post
    there's also a certain large tree-nut that makes for a very good replacement for ivory. it's not very big (about 3 inches max) but works for small inlays.
    Oh yeah - I forgot about "vegetable ivory" from the ivory nut tree. It's possibly just big enough for a belt buckle - maybe?

Red Coin Mah Jong

Good morning all. I am new here and joined because of my gun collection and related work with gun stocks. My specific interest today is finding someone who can do laser scrimshaw on my elephant ivory grips. I have a couple of nice fine line drawings of tasteful nudes I would like to get transferred to 1911 grip panels. Thought perhaps in the time that has elapsed since this thread was started there might be some new developments. I am also interested in laser engraving wood and stabilized wood. Thank you for your advice and assistance. Ed

eggbone.jpg

This was the last set of grips I engraved. Real ivory, using Dee's recommended settings, engraved this color naturally. (Thanks Dee btw.)
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Laser Engraving Ivory

I bought a bit of Ivory on ebay, essentially scraps, sometimes bigger pieces/slabs. It is pricey but legal.
    Ray Mighells Killbuck NY
    Nice Wood For Laser
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=155