Thread: Blades for Harbor Freight multifunction tool

Question Blades for Harbor Freight multifunction tool

Are the blades from any other manufacturer compatible with the Harbor Freight multitool? Are any of those blades of higher quality?

Thank you.

Everyone I have tried has fit so far. The only one I haven't tried is a Fein blade but the Fein sanding pad does so I would think the blade would also.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    Everyone I have tried has fit so far. The only one I haven't tried is a Fein blade but the Fein sanding pad does so I would think the blade would also.
    Sounds like you have used the HF tool Keith. What do you think of it? Is it a good buy at $30? Would you buy another? Thanks,
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

It's the most amazing tool ever. I haven't used the Fein very much but the Harbor Freight one on sale for 39 bucks can't be beat. I will say the attachments are not as good of a quality thats why I use the other accessories.

HF Multitool

I bought a Dremel blade at the Borg and it does NOT fit the HF variable speed multitool.

Carl

I haven't bought any of these, but at least another source for blades. I got this from one of the wood forums, maybe here. http://www.imperialblades.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=23
    I agree that the HF tool is good, especially for the 30 bucks I paid for it. Not something I use all the time, but it paid for itself for the reason I needed on, cutting the door trim when I was tiling the guest bedroom. But man, is it loud!!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I use the Bosch bimetal blades from McFeely's. They work well to cut nails.
    http://www.mcfeelys.com/search/multi-x

I have an older type of the HF tool, without the alignment pins that keep the blade from swiveling in use. I added some adhesive-backed sandpaper and it works reasonably well when the blade is cranked down. I say this because I think they'd fit the HF model with pins, but I'm not certain.

This months Fine Homebuilding magazine has a little blurb about a universal adapter that can be used with any of the multimaster type saws with any other manufactures blade. It will be available this fall. Can't say who the manufacture is for sure as the magazine is downstairs and I'm too darn lazy to go find out. It a major name though. Maybe Bosch? Predicted price is $7.00.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Thank you

Thanks to all of you for the information. I have the hf variable speed multitool. I have used the tool and the angled cutter blade to cut the corners after using a circular saw to cut plywood sub flooring for removal. I also undercut a few door frames and used it to get close to walls and other places the circular saw would not go.

In other threads some have stated that the hf tool is loud. I found this one to be reasonably quite while making some cuts and very noisy making others. Some have also stated that it becomes hot in use. I found it did heat up, but I was not using it long enough to know if it would become uncomfortably hot. It certainly did the job for what I needed. I am not a pro, I am just doing some remodeling of my daughter's condo.

A thought I had about it is whether a new tool, using a short stroke cutter like the multitool or multimaster, could be devised to cut mortises?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hunsinger View Post
    I bought a Dremel blade at the Borg and it does NOT fit the HF variable speed multitool.

Carl
    I bought a Dremel blade for removing grout and it worked fine on the single speed unit. I haven't opened the variable speed unit yet (grabbed one when it was on sale).

Quote Originally Posted by John Neel View Post
    Are the blades from any other manufacturer compatible with the Harbor Freight multitool? Are any of those blades of higher quality?

Thank you.
    I just ordered 3 1-3/8" (I think) from Amazon for around $21. A company called Secco is the vender. I am currently using blades from these guys:
    http://multiblades.com/multimasterblades.html. They seems as good as the Fein blades and are quite a bit cheaper. A do-it-best hardware near me sells store brand blades but I don't know who makes them or how durable they are.