Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J/P Decision Time

J/P Decision Time

Whether I need it or not I've decided to buy a combo machine. Now the question is which one. Grizzly G0675 10" or Jet 12"? 99.9% of my planing and jointing is under 10". To me it comes down to price and ease of use. Is it worth $456 more(based on current sale) for the Jet to not have to remove the fence and have 3 blades? From what I've read owners of each are satisfied. In case I missed anything I welcome your comments.

I have only played with both machines in the showrooms and I would say both the Grizzly 12" and Jet 12" seem to be built a little better than the Grizzly 10". For me it would be worth the money to have the extra capacity on the planer side. The planer does most of the "finished" surfaces and the extra width lets you skew boards with wild grain more which can be important on a planer with straight knives. The Jet's price is excellent right now and if you can swing it, go for it. Rememeber too the Grizzly is going to be closer to $1,200 than 1,000 shipped IF you need lift gate delivery which is usually 40-50 bucks extra from Grizzly.

Interesting Van. I didn't know about the lift gate charge from Grizzly. That brings the difference down to ~$400. I see Amazon has free shipping, wonder if that includes liftgate? I have the money for either, just don't want to spend more than necessary. So thus far +1 for the Jet.

For the price difference of 400.00 I would go with the 12" jet, for the money that is a really nice combo unit. IMO the 10" machine just seem kind of cheaply built in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Anderson View Post
    Interesting Van. I didn't know about the lift gate charge from Grizzly. That brings the difference down to ~$400. I see Amazon has free shipping, wonder if that includes liftgate? I have the money for either, just don't want to spend more than necessary. So thus far +1 for the Jet.

There are bunch of places you can get free lift gate delivery on Jet/Powermatic. Two that come to mind are Tools-plus and Toolzone. Tools-plus has a code you can use (it is on the site) to take of their flat 6.50 shipping.

I've messed with the Grizzly 10" machine in the Grizzly showroom and was very unimpressed. The fence doesn't stay locked and has a huge amount of deflection (i.e., it doesn't stay 90 degrees to the table).

Honestly, it's an inexpensive machine, but in my opinion, it's not worth half of what they're asking.

Their 12" machine is super nice. It's leagues beyond their 10" combo machine. If you're comparing the Grizzly 12" to the Jet 12", both with straight knives, I'd go with the jet for three reasons:

1. The Grizzly has much higher power requirements because of the 5HP motor. I believe you need a 30 amp 220v circuit. The Jet has a smaller motor and therefore doesn't require hefty wiring. I can't imagine needing a 5HP motor for a 12" machine.

2. The Jet switchover is easier- no need to remove the fence, and both tables raise at the same time together.

3. The grizzly requires a much bigger footprint. You can't really tell from the pictures on the website, but the fence mounting apparatus protrudes a lot from the back of the machine, so you can't push it up against the wall as much.

If you're looking into spiral cutterheads though, the Jet is something like $1k more than it's straight knife cutterhead equivalent... the Grizzly is something like $300 more than it's straight knife brother... so the math definitely works in favor of the Grizz if you're interested in spiral cutterheads.

I myself actually just bought a Laguna 10" jointer/planer combo machine with spiral cutterhead. I didn't need a 12" machine, but I really wanted a spiral cutterhead. It's a much more robust machine than the Grizzly 10", but it's about twice as expensive... The other big advantage that the laguna has is that you can order a slot mortiser attachment for it, which makes it a 3 purpose machine. The Jet and Grizzly are behind the ball on that, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    3. The grizzly requires a much bigger footprint. You can't really tell from the pictures on the website, but the fence mounting apparatus protrudes a lot from the back of the machine, so you can't push it up against the wall as much.
    The other big advantage that the laguna has is that you can order a slot mortiser attachment for it, which makes it a 3 purpose machine. The Jet and Grizzly are behind the ball on that, IMO.
    The Grizzly does have a pretty big footprint and does cancel some of the space savings.

I mentioned this in a slot mortiser thread. I would assume that both engineered to a price point and it didn't make business sense to add the feature vs the number of people who would pay extra for the feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I would assume that both engineered to a price point and it didn't make business sense to add the feature vs the number of people who would pay extra for the feature.
    You're probably right... but that math all has to do with their assumptions around the demand for that feature.

For me personally (and I'm just one data point), that's why I bought the laguna. I've seen others on the forum say they wish other manufacturers had slot mortiser attachments as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    1. The Grizzly has much higher power requirements because of the 5HP motor. I believe you need a 30 amp 220v circuit. The Jet has a smaller motor and therefore doesn't require hefty wiring. I can't imagine needing a 5HP motor for a 12" machine.

I've logged in several hours on the Jet twelve inch, IMO it's a little underpowered when you start using it at it's maximum capacity. I found that it had a hard time making ⅟₁₆ " passes on 12" wide red oak. I was using a friends machine and was scared to death, that I might destroy it, by the way it screamed bloody murder each time a board went through.

I have the 12" Jet, and have been very happy with it. The changeover is quick and easy, and it has a smaller footprint than the 12" Griz (I'm in a 2 car garage, so this means a lot to me). Personally, I'd have a hard time with a planer < 12". The planer works really well, with minimal to no snipe. I've only needed the 12" jointer once, but when I did I had a stupid grin on my face 'cause I didn't need to hack up a really nice piece of curly cherry. It's also nice to be able to skew narrower pieces with wild grain to reduce tearout. I haven't had any problems with power, but I tend to take very shallow cuts. I have no experience with the 10" Griz, and whether or not the Jet is worth the price difference is something only you can decide. FWIW, I went from a lunchbox planer & 6" jointer & have no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anthony View Post
    FWIW, I went from a lunchbox planer & 6" jointer & have no regrets.
    I too am in a two car garage and will be replacing a DW733 and Ridgid jointer. From what I've read here it looks like Jet is the way to go.

I see you're close by Dave, but obviously I can't interest you in some used machines.
    Last edited by Larry Anderson; 09-15-2010 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Anderson View Post
    I see Amazon has free shipping, wonder if that includes liftgate?
    The planer I purchased earlier in the spring from Amazon came with free lift gate service. The delivery guys used a pallet jack and rolled it into the garage for me.

Blog Entries

spiral cutteerhead a must for the combo?

I've been advised over and over again, If you are going to purchase a combo macine, go with a spiral head.

I am having enough problems setting the knives on my Ridgid 6" jointer. (Still don't have it right) I have nightmares thinking about doing the same on my DeWalt 734 planer.

I'm hoping Jet announces a sale on the spiral model during the next several weeks.

I too have a two car garage setup, but I have the room for a 40"+ wide Grizzly if I have to go that way.

The Hammer straight knives are suppose to be easy change, but that machine is $3,400.00 minium and I am only a hobbist.

I do want a minimum 12" machine.

I would appreiciate any additional imput.

Bob Landel

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Landel View Post
    I've been advised over and over again, If you are going to purchase a combo macine, go with a spiral head.

Bob Landel

I think they are a must for any jointer or planer, combo or not. You will get varying opinions BUT it is really rare to see anyone go back to straight knives. Search spiral/ helical/ byrd head and you will get dozens of threads that discuss this.

Blog Entries
    I chose the single function path but if I had an interest in a jointer / planer the first machine I would look at is the Hammer A3-31.

I've seen the online video and it's very compelling especially pertaining to changing the knives and putting on the extension tables.

Plus many happy owners here on the creek.

Downside of course is the price but I think you probably will get what you pay for in this case.

Just my $.02.

Good luck with your purchase.

PHM