Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why I hate turning !

Blog Entries
    This is why I don't take things down to 1/8".
    Have a Nice Day!

Scott, all we be OK....just stand back from the grill a bit.....little more.....and, do not hold the lit match in the other hand while putting on fire starter!!

Are we having fun yet?

A lot of times I just walk away when things don't go right. Later, when I come back to work on the piece, seems I can usually figure out something to do to correct whatever was going wrong the day before.

At 1/8" thick - you don't need to turn away any glue stains if you just wipe the piece down with whatever finish you plan on using anyway. The glue will adhere to the crack area and not stain the surrounding wood. You can sand away any uneven areas later.

Looking forward to seeing the finished hollow form!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Smile

Mr Moderator,

Mr. Donley should have his privileges suspended for talking that way. He hates turning? May all his blanks have bugs, may a drill chuck get froze in his morse taper and may all his ways be rusty. Blasphemy!

At first I saw the subject line of his post I thought somebody from a 'f-work' area of SMC had decided to come over here and start trouble. When I saw it was one of us I got real upset. But is he really one of us if he has a new planner?

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Scott, think of it this way --- you could be a segmenter

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    "Fer cryin' out loud, he's even got STEAK!"

Thanx. Biting my tongue was starting to hurt...

......AND a grill!!
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    A lot of times I just walk away when things don't go right. Later, when I come back to work on the piece, seems I can usually figure out something to do to correct whatever was going wrong the day before.
    I agree. It's the most painful, but most rewarding part of the process. The harder I have to work for it, the more I love the end product. Or at least, this is what my therapist says I should think.

This thread is proof that a grown man should never cry I did go to the store and bought some super glue and filled the crack from the inside, used the shop-vac to pull the glue through, seems to have worked with little damage. As a side note: about 4 years ago I bought about 135 bf. of maple to build a table I was thinking about also bought a lathe around the same time, since then, nothing but turning. A few months ago I could not pass up the Dewalt 735 on sale at HD for sale at 294.00 and sold my old Delta. The Dewalt is still sitting there unused.
    Last edited by Scott Donley; 09-15-2010 at 3:04 PM.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    As a side note: about 4 years ago I bought about 135 bf. of maple to build a table I was thinking about also bought a lathe around the same time, since then, nothing but turning. A few months ago I could not pass up the Dewalt 735 on sale at HD for sale at 294.00 and sold my old Delta. The Dewalt is still sitting there unused.
    Stop trying to get back on everyone's good side. Now go smash another finger while turning and we might let you back inside the circle of trust!

A little sealer will block that CA stain.

Yep. He's definitely in it for the long-haul.....
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

At least you've got the tablesaw and jointer. They're great for holding turning related items!

Blog Entries
    I went out Sunday afternoon and reintroduced myself to my lathe, been away from it for almost three years. Had to clean her up real good and put a small piece of scrap on just to play. Worked pretty good, have wanted to go out the past couple of days but my mind is fried, been a rough couple of days, Just decided to raid the fridge for Sam Adams tonight and try tomorrow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf