Thread: CA glue finsh for peppemills

1. CA glue finsh for peppemills

Greetings:

I was recently turned on to a CA finishing technique for peppermills. I was immediately impressed by the glass like finish that resulted. I just heard though that CA finishes will fail in 5 to 10 years. Does anyone have any experience with this?

BTW, thanks goes out to Tom Mullane for introducing me to this site and the above mentioned finishing technique.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
    Brian Howerton (A.K.A. Mr Peppermill)

Welcome, to the "Creek", but just a note: Please modify your profile as this is a "Your Actual Name" is your username (not a nick-name) type forum and you'll have to remove the link to your web site in your signature block.

Just update your profile, or e-mail Jackie and she can fix your membership info.

Tom M. sent you - well welcome to you and thanks Tom for sending along another to our group.

CA Finish on a Peppermill. I haven't tried it, but I would think it would be somewhat like that on a pen, just a whole lot more CA and more expense. I think there are probably other finishes that are less expensive and close to CA for durability for that use. But it definately would be worth a try.

I know I wasn't much help, but there are a lot of good people here htat surely can.
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Please see my comments to your thread in the General Woodworking Forum on this subject.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

I've been using CA finishes for 3-4 years and have not problems. I personally would'nt sweat it ... I use a BLO/CA finish since CA reacts with BLO to give a good hard sandable finish. I sand to 220, put on the oil, sand in 2-3 coats with 320 grit and then hit it with CA (thin) 2 coats, sand out with 400, then finish up to 12000 w/micromesh, buff on Beal System for pepermills. For pens the same schedule but I just use HUT's Crystal coat, friction polish with a T-shirt and then buff with kraft paper. Gives a super shiney almost wet finish.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

5. Thanks Michael. I am eager to try the BLO/CA combo finish. I have some redwood, camphor and amboyna burls that are just itching to be mills. That CA has some nasty fumes though. I am switching to a chemical respirator.
    Brian Howerton (A.K.A. Mr Peppermill)